Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so Im getting ready here to order a cold air intake or just get a big filter and use my stock intake tube, my question is, will there be a difference in power, airflow, sound, whatever in getting a stage 2 vs just a stage 1. So really, my question is , is a stage 2 worth the money vs a stage 1. thanks- Terry

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
A CAI is nice, sound will change if you pay attention, the BHAF made the most whistle for me. An AFE or S&B. Itll help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks, sound like i will do the bhaf for now and make a heat shield, i found a template on here for one so I'll give it a shot, seems like for the money i would be better using the stock filter to turbo tube and buying an intake horn, thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Get a pusher intake horn if your going to do it, their only about 150 bucks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thanks, what will i notice with a different intake vs the stock one?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Depends...
If you had an EGR valved intake horn, (like I had) boost will jump up about 5psi and create a noticeable gain. If you have a 49 states non EGR intake you will notice very little, but it looks cool and has ports for a boost gauge and water/meth. The EGR horn necks down to 1 inch and does cause a restriction at above stock power and rpms. If you are on budget spend your money on other parts, but if you feel the need get a pusher.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Do a pusher for sure, any color and they look awesome. Volant also makes a good CAI for our rigs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, i am going to give the bhaf a shot first, went to napa today and ordered it, do you think that I need to make up a heat shield, I mean to be honest I aint pushing 500 hp with this anyways

·
Registered
90 Posts
Removing EGR (California smog)

I have purchased a Pusher (3.5" from intercooler in) intake horn and will get a new exhaust manifold. Once I do this, I can toss all the EGR gear. Is this correct?

I have found a post here to shut off the check engine light.

Is this all there is to it? Anything else need doing?

In advance, thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what would the advantage be of me getting an exhaust manifold? also when I install my gauges monday when they come in, should will it be enough to step up drill sizes then vac the manifold, or do some guys discollect the turbo to prevent getting shavings in the turbo, it looks like it would be a pain in the . Really, at the end of the day, All I want from my truck is to be able to pull it at the county fair and show some local pricks that they aint **** with daddys truck.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Put some grease on the drill, run low rpms, clear the chips just before breaking through, do the same with the tap and 98% of the chips will come out the top.

The turbine is pretty robust, a couple of chips should not hurt it. The compressor wheel on the other hand is a whole different story. Clean, clean, and clean some more! But your really worried you can remove the turbo to be extra safe.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Make a homemade home heat shield. Makes underhood look better and actually helps. Its right by the turbo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am getting a new exhaust manifold as the stock one for a Cali engine has the EGR port on it. It seemed a bit restrictive IMHO. You can simply buy a plate to cover this EGR manifold port as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.