Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching high and low for after market air filters for my new truck. Why is it that no one seems to make a filter for the 6.7L TD. I am curious to see if it would improve my mileage to go to a K&N versus the stock filter element. Anyone know where I can get one?

·
Registered
838 Posts
first off, avoid K&N. you can get a 5.9 airbox for your 6.7 and then just use aftermarket filters for a 5.9. I din't notice a lot of mileage increase on my 6.7 with the AFE stage II, and I didn't notice much fuel mileage difference untill i got rid of the DPF.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
ive heard the 5.9 filters from a 3rd gen will work. imho id go with a amsoil nanofiber (dry)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Are you looking for a drop in filter or a replacement airbox with filter? I would talk to Keven of K2 Diesel Performance and he should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking for a replacement drop in filter as a start (wife won't allow big spending) but I may have to go to a replacement airbox or even look into the DPF Delete if that is the way everyone is getting better MPG. Only 8,000 on the truck so not real sure if I am ready to void the warranty just yet.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Keven can help you out either way you go. You won't get much out of a drop in filter, maybe a little out of a replacement airbox or stage 2 intake. ~1 mpg or so. Your best bet is the delete, but that is a decision to look in to. Just read around some of the threads on the deletes and you will become familiar. Most people have nothing but good things to say about the DPF deletes. I'm sure Keven will have something to say shortly.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
AFE has a new dry drop in wasable filter for the 6.7. I got one from Summit racing for just under 80.00 and although I have not seen any milage increase yet I did notice a loss of EGT's on hard accell. It is a 30-10102

Chris

·
Banned
706 Posts
So you cant put a COI on your truck? Scared of voiding your warranty?:w:
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
AFE has a new dry drop in wasable filter for the 6.7. I got one from Summit racing for just under 80.00 and although I have not seen any milage increase yet I did notice a loss of EGT's on hard accell. It is a 30-10102

Chris
:agree2: That is a good choice for a drop-in filter.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
wahoo!! I got the K2 seal of aproval, I must be learning something hahahaha!!!!!

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
wahoo!! I got the K2 seal of aproval, I must be learning something hahahaha!!!!!

Chris
You better feel special Chris:lol3:

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
I am running the 5.9 filter in mine, took out the S&B. I like it so far, have about 7000 with it. Minimal milage increase, but can hear the turbo alittle better now with the filter in and the baffel removed

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I tired a stock 5.9 filter and I found that it had slightly more restriction than the stock 6.7 filter. My observation was that it pulled more boost at highway speeds empty or towing.

I was looking at some drop in filters the other day at a shop. I have heard that K&N has had a bad reputation the past few years in diesel applications. The new K&N drop in filter for the 6.7 is a lot different than the old ones for the 5.9. This new filter completely fills the stock air box by the looks of it. It also looks like the filter media is a lot thicker than their older designs. Has anyone got any positive feedback for this new filter in their 6.7?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts