Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Air dog tips?

998 Views 22 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Blacksmoke07
My Air Dog II just came in today:headbang:, was wonderin if you guys had some tricks to the install, or just general advice that arent in the directions? thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
817 Posts
Not 100% sure on the II cause I've got the 150 but it's pretty simple to install. The II comes with a replacement sending unit so you don't have to drill the hole for the drawstraw which was the hardest part of the 150's. But all you'll have to do is pull out the old unit and throw the new one in so the choice of dropping the tank or pulling the bed is just preference.

Mount the pump itself as close to the skid plate under the transfer case as possible to protect it from the road, but if you have a short box not sure exactly on mounting unless they started offering the plate that turns the perpendicular to the frame.

Put oil in the hose before pushing the fittings in to make it easier and make sure the hose is flush with the plastic washer.

It's nice to have a garage to work in, but if I can install one on dirt with 20mph winds beating me around I'm sure you can handle it. :thumbsup:

· Registered
9,857 Posts
dropping the tank is easier than removing the bed :thumbsup:

2 nuts, a couple fuel lines, 1 small wiring harness, and the fill tubes are all that hold the tank up. your gonna havta undo the fuel lines and wiring harness either way, but dropping the tank is far less to unplug and unbolt than bed removal. just drive that truck till your @ 1/4 tank or less to make sure its good and light before you attempt it. I ran mine till there was about 5 gallons left in it so it was easy to lift and manage. the tanks only weight is the fuel since its all plastic. they are very light. and disconnecting the batteries is not even worth it. I left mine hooked up. your not gonna shock yourself unless you start cutting wires and touching them together :buttkick::hehe:

oh yea, don't forget have a case of beer in hand for first aid/nerve calming :headbang: also be a good idea to have a buddy help mount the airdog unit itself onto the frame so you can get the bolts in place. the thing is heavier than the damn fuel tank especially when trying to get the nuts on the backs of the bolts :doh: good luck! :thumbsup:

· Registered
9,857 Posts
Not 100% sure on the II cause I've got the 150 but it's pretty simple to install. The II comes with a replacement sending unit so you don't have to drill the hole for the drawstraw which was the hardest part of the 150's. But all you'll have to do is pull out the old unit and throw the new one in so the choice of dropping the tank or pulling the bed is just preference.

Mount the pump itself as close to the skid plate under the transfer case as possible to protect it from the road, but if you have a short box not sure exactly on mounting unless they started offering the plate that turns the perpendicular to the frame.

Put oil in the hose before pushing the fittings in to make it easier and make sure the hose is flush with the plastic washer.

It's nice to have a garage to work in, but if I can install one on dirt with 20mph winds beating me around I'm sure you can handle it. :thumbsup:
i have a short box, had to mount it on the outside of the frame under the drivers door area...clearly visible standing a few car lengths away from the left side but if something comes up and bashes it that high on my truck, then that thing will be the LEAST of my worries! :thud:

· Registered
687 Posts
:ditto:...almost. Removing the bed is really no big deal (6 bolts and unplug the taillights) and only took 1/2 hour and 2 friends to help lift. You can lure them there with beer :drool2:, but don't give it to them until after you're done! An advantage to leaving the tank in place is that it's resting naturally when you cut the draw straw to length. I can easily run my tank past the low fuel light and not suck air. Just a thought.

I also have a SB, so placing the unit outside of the frame was my best option. It sits higher than the bottom of the stock tank, so hitting something wasn't a real concern. You can also change your filter in less than 1 minute! :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im probly gonna drop the tank, dont have a hoist for the bed..and the airdog II, you dont have to mess with the draw straw stuff. But thanks :thumbsup: oh and dont worry about the beer, silver bullets all the way through the project :hehe:

· Registered
687 Posts
If that's the case, you don't need to remove the bed to access the top of the tank. You may consider taking the bolts out and just jacking the front of the bed up to get more working room. Remember to use jack stands, beer cans don't count! :D

· Registered
274 Posts
i would pull the bed its crazy how much dirt and crap sits up on the fram that you cant get to with the bed on just my opinion.

· Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well fellas, got her on! Didnt have to drop the tank or pull the bed.. had just enough room to reach the hose and clamps to get off to put in the piece for the return! Overall went pretty well, about a 4 hour install, with a half hour dedicated to a run to the fittings store to get a "T" for my Fuel pressure guage. My in cab guage only reads to 15psi though, the one in my engine bay reads to 30psi, and at idle she runs about 22psi, not sure of WOT. Is this about right tho? have heard a few different things.

· Registered
817 Posts
Most people don't like more than 20, but the nice thing about the II is you have an adjustable regulator that you can turn it down with. :thumbsup:

· Registered
9,857 Posts
lol my bed isnt so easy to pull...I have the tuck away gooseneck hitch in the bed bolted through to the frame. not to mention my 2 55w backup lights mounted to the trailer hitch, and rv + commercial style trailer hookups in the bed for the gooseneck...dropping the tank is MUCH easier in my case. :thud:

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
^^^well, that's yer case man, shoulda said that in yer original post...;)

glad to hear they ain't so much of a b%^ch to get on, makes me feel more confident in gettin a II versus a 150...:thumbsup:

still not sure which to get though...:doh::doh: :confused013:

· Registered
461 Posts
Think I'm gettin a 150. But not really sure which will be better for my set up. :confused013: Guess I'll have to do some research.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
get the AD2! comes with the drop in canister (flexible 1/2" draw straw pre-mounted in a jeep liberty fuel canister) also has higher GPH rating and it does not cycle the fuel constantly like the ad150 does. it draws on demand instead which combined with the "draw straw V" eliminates the 1/4 tank issues.

· Registered
9,857 Posts
Think I'm gettin a 150. But not really sure which will be better for my set up. :confused013: Guess I'll have to do some research.
in your case, get a draw straw V and a raptor150...and maybe a couple of those fittings airdog uses for the injection pump so you can still use your stock filter/water separator with the larger lines. be cheaper since you already have the bigline kit...

· Registered
461 Posts
in your case, get a draw straw V and a raptor150...and maybe a couple of those fittings airdog uses for the injection pump so you can still use your stock filter/water separator with the larger lines. be cheaper since you already have the bigline kit...
I'm gonna have to do some research. Never even heard of a draw straw V. :confused013: What is it and where can I get it?

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.