Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel gelled up the other day. Got it inside, heat turned up, torpedo heaters on, etc. Got it warm enough to drain the Fuel/Water seperator. Added some 2-cycle oil and gel treatment. (I had forgotten to do this last fillup, which is why it gelled...:doh:)
Got the injector lines bled, fired up, ran great. Good fuel pressure (15PSI) and made a few test runs down the road. Great pressure, plenty of power.

Yesterday, I start it up after being plugged in, and just installed fresh batteries. Great fuel pressure, ran great. Got 1/2 mile down the road, pressure drops to 0, truck dies. AirDog150 "hums" but not the typical pumping noise. Took off the Air/Water seperator to find ice in the bottom. Took off fuel filter, no ice or gel, just some fuel. Bumped the key with them off, pumped hums, but not spraying any fuel out the filter holes or anywhere. Won't pump fuel at all.

What gives? I'm waiting on a callback from AirDog. Any ideas? I know the fuel can't be gelled, as I added plenty of treatment, and it wasn't as cold yesterday as it was the day that it gelled and I got it thawed out and then drove it fine.

I just replaced my VP44, then my APPS, and now this. All at once! I'm going broke. :banghead:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
I don't think so, if it is still humming it is most likely still spinning. Most seized pumps will blow a fuse too and then not hum or buzz at all.

I'm betting it lost prime because of air in the filters or because of a blockage in the suction line still.

A full tank of diesel (or partial...doesn't matter) has a HUGE amount of thermal energy and as a result takes a long damn time to come above gelling temperature, even when subjected to direct heat.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
My fuel gelled up the other day. Got it inside, heat turned up, torpedo heaters on, etc. Got it warm enough to drain the Fuel/Water seperator. Added some 2-cycle oil and gel treatment. (I had forgotten to do this last fillup, which is why it gelled...:doh:)
Got the injector lines bled, fired up, ran great. Good fuel pressure (15PSI) and made a few test runs down the road. Great pressure, plenty of power.

Yesterday, I start it up after being plugged in, and just installed fresh batteries. Great fuel pressure, ran great. Got 1/2 mile down the road, pressure drops to 0, truck dies. AirDog150 "hums" but not the typical pumping noise. Took off the Air/Water seperator to find ice in the bottom. Took off fuel filter, no ice or gel, just some fuel. Bumped the key with them off, pumped hums, but not spraying any fuel out the filter holes or anywhere. Won't pump fuel at all.

What gives? I'm waiting on a callback from AirDog. Any ideas? I know the fuel can't be gelled, as I added plenty of treatment, and it wasn't as cold yesterday as it was the day that it gelled and I got it thawed out and then drove it fine.

I just replaced my VP44, then my APPS, and now this. All at once! I'm going broke. :banghead:
If you had ice in the water separator did you address that? Sounds like your gelled back up to me? Do a bucket test in the garage. Suction line in a bucket of fuel, out put over that same bucket of fuel and return to the same bucket of fuel after you ensure the filter are not clogged. See what that does and let me know. If you are the Jared at 814 in PA I will be calling you shortly.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried running the pump with both filters removed. Had no fuel whatsoever running onto the ground. The ice in the separator is an issue, but with it and the filter removed, I think I should have some fuel running out if the pump is running. It just hums but doesn't seem like it is actually turning. I'm familiar with the sound it normally makes when pumping fuel.

I am in Indiana. Thanks for the ideas so far.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
You are not the Jared in PA. LOL I do not have a name, number, or voicemail from you. At least by the name of Jared anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I tried running the pump with both filters removed. Had no fuel whatsoever running onto the ground. The ice in the separator is an issue, but with it and the filter removed, I think I should have some fuel running out if the pump is running. It just hums but doesn't seem like it is actually turning. I'm familiar with the sound it normally makes when pumping fuel.

I am in Indiana. Thanks for the ideas so far.
Nothing froze up in the pre screen area preventing fuel flow is there? That would be under the water separator nipple. You can remove that with a 1" socket and clean it out real well and put it back on.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing froze up in the pre screen area preventing fuel flow is there? That would be under the water separator nipple. You can remove that with a 1" socket and clean it out real well and put it back on.
I'll check that. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts