Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Air Conditioning is warm! Help!

1586 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  irukandji
My air conditioning blows warm air comparable to the outside temp if not hotter. What is the best way to fix it. How many cans of refrigerant should I use if thats the case?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,813 Posts
well sounds like you have the same problem as me, broke/leaking evaporator. gotta take the dash out to replace it

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Could be many things....

First things first, is the compressor clutch engaging? if not, is the clutch physically broke or is it not engaging because of low refridgerant? If its low on ref, wheres the leak! or is the condensor plugged up and it overheated and vented it out..

· Registered
1,014 Posts
My air conditioning blows warm air comparable to the outside temp if not hotter. What is the best way to fix it. How many cans of refrigerant should I use if thats the case?
The best way to fix it would be too refill the system with refrigerant and dye and find where the leak is. How most people do it is just refill the system and keep refilling it when it gets low. the whole system is 2lbs of refrigerent but chances are you still have some refrigerent in there so DONT just put 2lbs in. Get a low pressure guage and shoot for about 35-40psi.:thumbsup: Oh yea the pressure is variable to many things but outside temp is the leading one. If its cool out shoot for 35-37psi, if its 90*+ 40-45 psi wouldnt surprise me.

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be many things....

First things first, is the compressor clutch engaging? if not, is the clutch physically broke or is it not engaging because of low refridgerant? If its low on ref, wheres the leak! or is the condensor plugged up and it overheated and vented it out..
Does there have to be a leak or can it slowly disappear over time? It has 250,000 miles and I haven't touched it in the 2 years I've had it. I'll check your thoughts tomorrow. I'm pretty positive the clutch engages. I'll check the pressure too while I'm at it.

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Does there have to be a leak or can it slowly disappear over time? It has 250,000 miles and I haven't touched it in the 2 years I've had it. I'll check your thoughts tomorrow. I'm pretty positive the clutch engages. I'll check the pressure too while I'm at it.
In theory the system as whole shouldnt leak, but if the AC isnt run at least once a month to lubricate the seals they will dry and shrink causeing a leak.

· Registered
106 Posts
You can also use soapy water to find leaks. On one of my cars the leak was coming from the place where you put refrigerant in. The seal looks like a tire stem valve and it was leaking. You may be able to get the tool for it at a bicycle shop or auto zone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.