Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 91.5 I have a clutch cycling switch that's operated by a temp probe inserted into a closed tube in the suction line. The probe connects via two wires to a small square black box mounted with two screws on the side of the hose connection at the expansion valve block. It then has a pigtail with 3 wires and a three prong plug. All of the aftermarket AC products manufacturers show a pressure operated cycling switch with two terminals as well as the two terminal low pressure cutout (which I have, mounted to the side of the expansion valve). What I have is consistent with the wiring diagram I have. I've checked the application back to 89 and up to 93 and all show this pressure switch.

So, my questions are, what's on your trucks? Could this be a modification/update? I'm really reluctant to go to the stealership for this item as I'm sure they'll want an arm and a leg for it. I'm hoping this is some kind of change up so I cqn use this $25 switch.

Speaking of the dealer, they wanted $209 (after 10% trade discount) for a clockspring. So I took mine apart and fixed it. With that and repairing the 3 broken wires in the column where it tilts I've now got my cruise control working. If any one's inclined to fix theirs, let me know and I'll relay my experience. Not worth doing on a newer truck as they are available in the aftermarket for less than $30 (and I wouldn't repair one where an air bag is involved), but on ours, definately worth the effort.

Steve g

·
Registered
520 Posts
What you describe is what is on my 90. The thermocouple was cheap the last time I bought mine from the dealer. (It was even in stock)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts