Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the k&N filter hurt he 5.9? Also does running the diablo on stock 5.9 hurt anything. I am running it on the towing setting

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
are you talking about a drop in stock replacement filter? You gained nothing by adding the k&N filter, you gain no extra power nor mpg. The k&N filter is fine for a dirt bike or atv but not a turbo diesel, they have the filtration rating of a screen door. There are alot better filters out there and if you insist on an oiled filter go with an s&b. Currently the "best" drop in filter as far as cfm flow, dirt holding and filtration is actually the mopar 4 pleat heavy duty air filter, its made by wix, it even filters better than the donaldson/amsoil filter... its $31 at your local dealer.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Hey guys:
I am not sure what the filtration rating of a screen door is, but i can assure you that K&N Filters will provide more that sufficient filtration for any engine, turbo or not, when properly maintained***. I emphasize this because I know there have been situations when the filter is not properly serviced; thus causing improper filtration. When using a washable/reusable air filter, it needs to be taken care of just like when you change your engine oil or do any other maintenance on the vehicle. If you would like to do a little self-educating on filtration, I urge you to go to the following links for more info on the extensive testing and R&D we do on air filtration:
K&N Air Filter Efficiency Testing
K&N Air Filter Efficiency Testing
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/E-0784.pdf

If you have any other questions please let me know.
Thank you,

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
I wouldnt ever put a K&N on a cummins i have seen them tear apart turbo compressor wheels. There crap :rof and as for the programer just watch out for high EGT's.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I wouldnt ever put a K&N on a cummins i have seen them tear apart turbo compressor wheels. There crap :rof and as for the programer just watch out for high EGT's.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, thank you. And I believe you meant to say "they're crap".

I'm not saying anyone HAS to use K&N filters. I'm just here to educate and answer anyone's questions.

And if you have any negative comments, please keep them to yourself, I've heard them all already.

Thank you,
Have a wonderful day,

·
Bangin' through the gears
5,007 Posts
How so? The filter disintegrated and got sucked into the compressor? Dirt got by the filter and tore up the compressor wheel? Or should I say wheels, as it seems that you have seen this more than once. And were the filters maintained well?

I think people read about someones issue with a company or product and the next thing you know the Internet propaganda machine takes over.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey Ryan,

I have a question for you. I would like you to explain to me...perhaps I'm missing something. In the Link to the PDF for the E-0784 filter it seems to have conflicting information in it. The "K&N filter absolute air flow test" states 587CFM at 1.5" of water. Then below that in the ISO 5011 test it shows that the filter has a beginning restriction of 5.72" of water at 450 CFM.

Can you please explain this discrepancy to me?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Why is everyone so down on K&N? (Tear up engine blah blah blah.) If that filter was well maintained, you wouldn't have any problems. I've running a K&N product on something for the past 15 years. (Diesel, gas, turbo, supercharged, naturally aspirated) If someone was to crunch the numbers and get the ratio pf problems/units sold, it would wind up in line with everything else. The problem is no one posts up 'I love my K&N'. The world is full of people trying to get a something for nothing. All their problems are someone else's fault. Off the soapbox now.

Any power over stock will put the tranny on a express ride to the shop. The Diablo is nice, just watch the EGT's.

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
i have only seen them being destroyed by the dirt tearing up the compressor wheel! but i dont know how those people they cleaned the filter so.....its not up to me to judge. i dont have a problem with the company i run them on my gassers but not on my diesel! but just my opinion

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Hey Ryan,

I have a question for you. I would like you to explain to me...perhaps I'm missing something. In the Link to the PDF for the E-0784 filter it seems to have conflicting information in it. The "K&N filter absolute air flow test" states 587CFM at 1.5" of water. Then below that in the ISO 5011 test it shows that the filter has a beginning restriction of 5.72" of water at 450 CFM.

Can you please explain this discrepancy to me?

Thanks
Tom:

This is actually a very good question, and a good observance on your part. The reason for the difference is the exact reason an aftermarket intake system is so beneficial. The 587CFM at 1.5" of H2O is our filter being flown on our flow bench by itself. The 450CFM at 5.72" of H2O is the same filter, but in the stock dodge air box. The reason for the difference is when we do the dirt loading test on our filters, we want them in an environment as close as possible to when the filter is in the real world. The 450CFM is a standard we use when flowing any diesel application filter in this dust loading test. But in this specific test on the Dodge O.E. replacement, the stock intake system, being so restrictive, had an initial restriction of 5.72” of H2O when flowing at 450CFM. So again, this shows where the problem is with stock intake systems, and why aftermarket intake systems make such a big difference in airflow/power.

I hope this helps. Any other questions please let me know,

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Why is everyone so down on K&N? (Tear up engine blah blah blah.) If that filter was well maintained, you wouldn't have any problems. I've running a K&N product on something for the past 15 years. (Diesel, gas, turbo, supercharged, naturally aspirated) If someone was to crunch the numbers and get the ratio pf problems/units sold, it would wind up in line with everything else. The problem is no one posts up 'I love my K&N'. The world is full of people trying to get a something for nothing. All their problems are someone else's fault. Off the soapbox now.

Any power over stock will put the tranny on a express ride to the shop. The Diablo is nice, just watch the EGT's.
Thank you for the input. Its nice to see some positive feedback for K&N.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ryan, Thanks for your answer. I figured it was something like that, but it was not published in the test information or I missed it. Edit...Sorry I did miss it.

Please don't take this the wrong way. But Basically / realistically the absolute CFM rating of this particular filter means little to nothing when you stick it in the restrictive stock housing. Am I correct in assuming this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I run one on my truck, and have ran them on dirt late models and bunches of others for over 20 years... the way I look at it, They wouldnt be in buisness for all these years if they had that bad of a product.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Ryan, Thanks for your answer. I figured it was something like that, but it was not published in the test information or I missed it. Edit...Sorry I did miss it.

Please don't take this the wrong way. But Basically / realistically the absolute CFM rating of this particular filter means little to nothing when you stick it in the restrictive stock housing. Am I correct in assuming this?
Yes and No. Yes, there is still a lot of restriction, but the K&N filter will flow more air than the stock filter, so there will be a slight increase in airflow resulting in a small power increase. With the Cummins stock replacements we saw an average of about a 5-7 horsepower increase to the wheels. But the increase in power isn't the only benefit when purchasing a K&N. In this specific application, the Dodge O.E. replacements have much more surface area than the stock filter, resulting in a higher dust holding capacity, allowing the filter to go longer in between cleanings. And, being a washable filter, you will never have to purchase another one.

Hope this helps,

thanks,

·
Registered
341 Posts
I ran a K&N on my '89 W250 and numerous gassers...never had any problems with them. Every product has its good and bad features.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
theres been a few dusted engines that ran the k&N filter on here... theres never been one that I know of that has ran any other filter... :confused013:

Why do people post pics of filthy torque tubes and pitted turbine wheels with running the K&N? For absolutly NO gain attained by using a K&N I cant see why anyone with a turbo diesel would use one... if you want a washable filter get an S&B.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes and No. Yes, there is still a lot of restriction, but the K&N filter will flow more air than the stock filter, so there will be a slight increase in airflow resulting in a small power increase. With the Cummins stock replacements we saw an average of about a 5-7 horsepower increase to the wheels. But the increase in power isn't the only benefit when purchasing a K&N. In this specific application, the Dodge O.E. replacements have much more surface area than the stock filter, resulting in a higher dust holding capacity, allowing the filter to go longer in between cleanings. And, being a washable filter, you will never have to purchase another one.

Hope this helps,

thanks,
I contacted a large reputable filter manufacturer weeks ago and asked them some specs on their air filter, which is a paper replacement for the 6.7 dodge cummins. They said per SAE J723 that it held 775 grams of dirt. I know we are likely talking about two different testing methods, but that is a very large difference in how much dirt they will hold. That seems to go against what your saying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I cant speak for the KN, I bought my truck 3 mos ago w an aFe stage I kit, up graded the torque tube myself to a stage II kit, it already had the 7 layer (

·
Registered
24 Posts
or the gold filter, it seems to be a decent product, does k&n offer a filter specific for diesel apps like aFe does?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts