Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading through the post and still a little confused. First time towing anything this big. I have a 2001.5 6.7 megacab and recently upgraded to a 40' gooseneck racecar trailer with BW Hidaway ball hitch. Trailer weights 10,000 (scaled yesterday empty) and will probably put at least 5000 in cars, parts, and tools. So that is 15K +

My main question is do I need to add some kind of helper system to the rear suspension? I saw yesterday that the front of the leaf spring is slightly bent downward. Started by looking at the helper springs but read they are a rough ride when unloaded so was looking at the air bag system. How much weight will they handle and will they blow out like a tire if they support to much weight?

Thanks for reading, just don't want to be stuck on side of the road.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do you mean your truck is an '11.5?

With that much weight I would get a set of Firestone bags. I don't have them on my current truck, but did like them on my last one.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
is your mega a 2500 3500 single wheel or dually?

none the less YES get the air bags. i have them on my F-350 and love them

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
yes you need air bags but that doesnt change the ratings of your truck.

PLEASE do not take this the wrong way bc you should always ask if you dont know, but you are talking about pulling 15K+lbs with a 3/4 ton truck?? and wondering if you need airbags......honestly depending on your pin weight you may need a 3500 DRW

again do not take it the wrong way not trying to be mean

·
Go Packers
8,861 Posts
When I was researching air bags, I thought Pacbrake air bags were better constructed. Here are some part numbers for you, to give you an idea of what you might want to look into. Air bags do NOT increase your weight limits, just helps level your truck back out. Hope this helps, & best wishes.

HP10002 DODGE RAM 2500 & 3500 4WD, 2003–2012
HP10002 DODGE RAM 3500 Cab & Chassis, 2007-2012
HP10089 DODGE RAM 2500 & 3500 2WD, 2003–2012

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am using the B&W hide a hitch that is rated at 30,000 gross towing weight and 7500 tongue weigh. About the only worry I have is the rear suspension.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Double post

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I am towing 14k with 1k hitch weight and like the Air-lift 5000 air bags. They level out my truck with only 30 lbs pressure. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts