Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Air Bag Advice/Decision

1767 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  LFD2037
I tow an 08 Gulfstream 12k, 50 gallon reserve tank in the bed, fire wood in the bed along with coolers, camper packed with gear also. Not sure of the total weight of everything. I want to put some air bags on to help level the truck back out when I am all loaded and the camper is hooked up. Looking at 3 different bags/kits for my truck. (Air Lift)(Firestone)(Hellwig) I am looking for any advice/experience on which company makes the best kit. Thanks in advance on any input or recomendations.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
I'm not sure about the others but the Firestones were easy to install, and work great.

I originally bought them for the same reasons as yourself, and definitely would buy them again if I had it to do over.

· Registered
460 Posts
Almost every air bag is made by Firestone no matter what brand of kit you buy. shop on the internet and buy the one with the best price this week. The difference between the kits is not enough to worry about.
Just remember that nothing you add to your truck will alter the GVWR/GCWR numbers of your truck.

· Registered
1,671 Posts
had firestones on my 2 Rams and put them on my brothers and fathers too. Never had one bit of trouble with them.
Spend the extra $$$ on the onboard controller and compressor, it is worth it

Chris

· Registered
678 Posts
I bought some AirLift bags from Amazon, believe it or not. I think I paid right at $200 shipped. They were very easy to install and work great. I went the basic route and don't have an onboard compressor, but I don't need to use them that often...SC

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I want the onboard air so after I unhook at the campsite I can air down then air up without having to find a compressor to air up when ready to leave. The wife likes to go explore while on vacation and I imagine when the bags have 80 psi and no load the ride sucks.

· Registered
10 Posts
Check out pacbrake.com They make an awesome kit that is very easy to install on our trucks.

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
had firestones on my 2 Rams and put them on my brothers and fathers too. Never had one bit of trouble with them.
Spend the extra $$$ on the onboard controller and compressor, it is worth it

Chris
Thanks for the info, I want the onboard air so after I unhook at the campsite I can air down then air up without having to find a compressor to air up when ready to leave. The wife likes to go explore while on vacation and I imagine when the bags have 80 psi and no load the ride sucks.
Firestone Ride-Rite system with onboard air. Thats what I have, and the convenience of being able to adjust air pressure wherever whenever is most definitely worth the extra cash.

· Registered
341 Posts
+1 on the pacbrakes easy to install, built stout, all powder coated brackets, fit great with the carli mini pacs. Will probably upgrade to carli lt bags once i get their full leafs but these are a great product for the money! Here is a pic installed!

· Registered
25 Posts
+1 for Airlift. They look identical to pacbrake. Definatly go with onboard compressor and gauge. I bought mine from J.C. Whitney's. Dont remember price. Installed everything in about 3 hours.
2009 3500

· Registered
21 Posts
I like the Firestone air bags easy assembly and no drilling required

· Registered
672 Posts
PACBRAKE, PACBRAKE, PACBRAKE. 'Nuff said!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.