Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... Fuel mileage. I used to get pretty good. My truck would tell me i'm getting 22 or 24, but in reality it's more like 18 or 20. But all in all pretty good.
Seems like lately tho I can hardly get better then 17. Is it just winter blend? I've had one CTD before this one and it didn't seem to be affected this much by winter fuel.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Winter blend might have something to do with it. Could be your injectors getting inefficient :confused013:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been thinking of my injectors a little bit. She seems to run a little rough once in a while. You think a little injector cleaner is a good idea or should I get them checked out? I've never touched them in 70k miles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i was getting 23+ before my stock tranny gave up truck has 11k miles and a bunch of performance stuff (600+ hp) i can only see it getting better with the built tranny if i can ever get it to last

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
winter blend definitely effects my mileage. also injectors could be the problem i think thats part of the reason why my mileage has been going down ever since the day i bought the truck.

also heard front bearings get pretty sticky after a while

·
Registered
379 Posts
I didn't really notice much of a difference with the winter blend fuel...but over the weekend, I adjusted my valves to try to get rid of an annoying tick/slight knock, but it turned out that after the adjustment, the knock was still there. So, I took a magnetic reacher tool (the antenna type), and put one end on the injector line (as close to the injector connector tube as possible) and the other end in my ear and listened to the injectors one by one. Turns out that #1 is the source of the knock, and #4 is on it's way as well. After listening to each, I put my hand on each line and could feel #1 pulsating pretty good. Needless to say, in about 15 minutes, I found an issue that if left unattended would be quite serious. New injector tips, New Fuel Pump, and 2 micron filtration unit in the mail :)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
huh heard of doin that with metal pipe to pinpoint a noise but didnt know u could do it with an extendable magnet.

i think i got the same issue as u i adjusted my valves a while ago and it got rid of some of the noise. but now i notice a faint knock when driving and can hear it a little bit with the high idle. no other signs that injectors are bad yet.

do u think just new tips will sove ur problem? are u gona have all the injectors tested?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm hoping with added fuel to the CP3 and the extra filtration, it will keep Rail Pressure and well filtered fuel going to the new tips...I think it should clear it up. Really hoping it's not a body, but I guess I'll find out real soon...extendable magnet was great to work with as it stayed right on the injector line :)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
ya never know i just figure i only wana pull my injectors once so im gona have em tested first and if they r good ill get tips, if not well :$:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts