Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this should be in the tire/wheel section but it's a ghost town over there.

Question for you guys. I already know the answer I'm going to get- get a dually. Yes I know, it's a very strong possibility as the older I get the more paranoia sets in. Now on to the meat.
I have a 380th momentum. I pull it with my '15 srw 2500. Pin weight is around 3900lb, trailer weight is around 17-17.5k. I've had this trailer for 2 and a half years and have pulled it just fine on my factory wheels and tires. Truck is low mile and used basically for pulling the trailer. Being that the tires are now 5 years old, I purchased the truck dec 1, 2014. Its time for new. I have a set of 20x10 bmf repr and was going to throw some 295/65/20 trail grappler on them rated at 4080lb. However, I am very weary of the capability and capacity of these wheels. Advertised rated @ 3600lb per wheel.
The quality and carrying capacity of this truck is not something I want to mess around with. Am I being paranoid and should run them without worry? Or should it be warranted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know this should be in the tire/wheel section but it's a ghost town over there.

Question for you guys. I already know the answer I'm going to get- get a dually. Yes I know, it's a very strong possibility as the older I get the more paranoia sets in. Now on to the meat.
I have a 380th momentum. I pull it with my '15 srw 2500. Pin weight is around 3900lb, trailer weight is around 17-17.5k. I've had this trailer for 2 and a half years and have pulled it just fine on my factory wheels and tires. Truck is low mile and used basically for pulling the trailer. Being that the tires are now 5 years old, I purchased the truck dec 1, 2014. Its time for new. I have a set of 20x10 bmf repr and was going to throw some 295/65/20 trail grappler on them rated at 4080lb. However, I am very weary of the capability and capacity of these wheels. Advertised rated @ 3600lb per wheel.
The quality and carrying capacity of this truck is not something I want to mess around with. Am I being paranoid and should run them without worry? Or should it be warranted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t trust the aftermarket stuff with what you’re pulling. Most aftermarket wheels are mostly for style...they aren’t really engineered like FCA stock wheels..and I doubt they’d back up any warranty claims if the wheel failed while you were towing heavy.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,260 Posts
Look those rims over very closely. Look for a DOT3 stamp. If they do not have that stamp. Leave them on the floor. In the event of a tire/rim failure. Things could get real shady.

With the load your pulling. Myself it would be a dually only.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts