Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 08 mega looking at putting in a aftermarket srereo. heres what i want, dvd,cd,mp3, ipod hook up and poss nav. i dont really want a flip up version. what would you guys recommend?

also i would like to do a leveling kit who sells the best one?

last ? have any of you used the recon ultra white headlight bulbs? is so did you like them, or is their a better way to go?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
No input on the nav, but don't waste your money on the recon bulbs. I got 2 sets, and within one day had burnt up half of them. They are super cheap. I replaced them with PIAA extreme white bulbs and they have been perfect. And they put out more light too.

Reactions: mnmega

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
With a nav screen and DVD but no flipout, you will need to buy a double din dash bezel that came on the factory nav trucks. Alpine and Pioneer are currently the upper echelon of aftermarket headunits, especially when it comes to touchscreens with multiple features. Both companies offer high end units that will allow for DVD viewing, nav, bluetooth, iPod hookup, USB ports, and mp3/mp4 playback.

As for a leveling kit, there are several ways to go. If you want the cost effective route, a set of spring spacers are about $60-75. If you want more plush a ride, companies like KORE, Carli Suspension, Thuren Suspension, Dialed Motorsports, Lorenz Fabrication, and some others offer leveling kits that include taller springs for up front and longer travel shocks. All depends on how much you want to spend. To "level" your pickup could cost you $100 or it could cost you $2000, depending on how plush a ride and how competant an offroad rig you desire.

For a headlight upgrade, a well aimed set of HIDs are hard to beat. Stepping out of my '08 with HIDs into my fathers '10 with stock headlights, I immediately find myself squinting to see the road and wondering why the world looks so dark, yellow, and dirty. BIG difference in nighttime visability.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS GUYS. i dont really want plush ride i want it to be stout and not sag like a 70 yr olds you know what, while pulling my 42' enclosed. as for offroad use i dont need that either i have a heavily modded cj-7 that goes inside the enclosed. i was considering the my gig but figured i would ask to see what everyone else was using. wheres the best place to get hid's?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
A set of airbags in the rear help with trailer squat and also make the system ride better when there is weight behind the truck. I've been very happy with my Firestone Ride Rites.

As for HIDs, there are several companies out there. I've heard a fair amount of negative comments about the company I bought mine from, so if I had to do it again I might have looked elsewhere. There are a few HID threads that outline the best places to source a kit from, I don't remember them offhand.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i have a set of bags sitting in my closet waiting to go in when the rest of my parts arive. i have had them in all my trucks and love them. i guess i was just saying im use to the 1 ton lunber wagon ride and it doesnt bother me to the point where im gonna spend big dough to solve it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Retro Solutions is a site supporter and vendor for HID's and from what i hear offers a very good product with a couple price ranges and they are lifetime warranty. I have 6000K Bi-Xenon HID's from Unique Coatings and have never had a problem with them.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Have a look at the Kenwood Double Din head units as well. I went with the MyGig upgrade.

I have an Alpine IVA-W505 in my other vehicle. Alpine customer service sux.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just installed a Pioneer Avic-920 in my truck 2 days ago. I bought the factory nav bezel on e-bay for $90. So far I really like it, the bluetooth works great and the built in nav is much beter than the Tom-Tom with the chord hanging across the dash.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
could you post some pics of how it looks in your truck please.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also can i still use my steering wheel controls? i didnt see anything on the page i was looking at that said i could ot couldn't.

·
Registered
228 Posts
mnmega, you can still use your radio controls with an adapter. I took a couple of pictures but I can't figure out how to get them in here?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where did you buy yours from. i like everything i read about it just wanna see what it looks like in your truck. how much is the adapter for steering wheel controls? i also sent you a pm

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought mine from a friend who works in a stereo and accessory install shop. I can ask him how much the adaptor is; I don't have the steering wheel controls, but he did ask me if i did have them. pm me and let me know if you recieved the pics.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i got the one pic. it looks very nice factory like. thank you. you have had it in for a few days, now is their anything you dont like about it? or something you really love about it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Overall I really like it. The one thing that takes getting use to is how much finger prssure to use when you are trying to scroll through the menus, but overall it sounds great. The signal from the radio to my amplifiers seems to be much clearer as well. I think that you would be happy with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
is there a touch calibration like on our phones???

·
Registered
48 Posts
I decided to go with the pioneer avic z-110bt 7" touch screen. I have been really happy with it. has dvd, nav, cd, mp3, bluetooth, ipod, sd card, etc. You can connect a back up camera as well. I believe the adapter for the steering wheel controls was pretty expensive so I just went without.

If you want a cheap leveling kit, go with hell bent steel. $70 or so and you can get a 2" or 2.5 " It might make the ride a little stiffer but not much. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have the kenwood dnx6160 and love it.. has garmin nav built in, ipod bluetooth all the bells and whistles.. i used a pac harness since i have the infinity system and the pac harness was prewired for the steering wheel interface that pac makes as well so it was all pretty much plug n play.. works great.. here is a pic of it installed..

i actually got rid of my factory rec nav to put the kenwood in because i like the touch screen with more capability... but here is a pic of the stock head unit..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.