Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking at getting another bumper for my 2017 2500 Laramie but I have the front parking sensors. The company says just unplug them but I read on another forum that causes the computer to freak out and if I ever want to go back to stock I would have to have the dealership reprogram the sensors. I was thinking just taping them up under the bumper so they are out of the way. Does anybody have any experience with just unplugging them entirely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My bumper is working just fine with the sensors.

Backwoods bumpers front and rear

But if you get Alfa obd you can take the sales code off and disable the sensors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I’ve had mine unhooked front and back for years, no issues.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry probably should have mentioned the bumper I’m looking at doesn’t have the sensor holes. But when u put the sensors in the new bumper was it just plug and play basically? Did you have to mess with the orientation of them at all?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had mine unhooked front and back for years, no issues.

Just totally unplugged?

Does the dash just warn u there off when u start the truck? And are the two lights for them on the center console always on then?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My aftermarket bumpers don’t have sensor holes they’re unplugged from the harness and gone. I’ve had them turned off via the switch since I bought the truck new, dash says they’re off briefly when I start the truck and that’s that

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My aftermarket bumpers don’t have sensor holes they’re unplugged from the harness and gone. I’ve had them turned off via the switch since I bought the truck new, dash says they’re off briefly when I start the truck and that’s that

Ok so you turned off the switch and unplugged them in that order? Have you ever tried to plug them back in to see if it goes right back to normal?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
As I said I had them shut off via the switches since new, a year or so later I put on replacement bumpers at which time the sensors were removed. I don’t have the factory bumpers or sensors they’ve never been plugged back in since removed. I highly doubt there would be any issues doing so

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said I had them shut off via the switches since new, a year or so later I put on replacement bumpers at which time the sensors were removed. I don’t have the factory bumpers or sensors they’ve never been plugged back in since removed. I highly doubt there would be any issues doing so

Ok great news thanks

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Hey guys looking at getting another bumper for my 2017 2500 Laramie but I have the front parking sensors. The company says just unplug them but I read on another forum that causes the computer to freak out and if I ever want to go back to stock I would have to have the dealership reprogram the sensors. I was thinking just taping them up under the bumper so they are out of the way. Does anybody have any experience with just unplugging them entirely?

Like already mentioned, just turn them off with the switch. The truck will always remember the last state of the park sense switches. Leave the sensors plugged in and taped up out of the way. This way, the connectors won’t get corroded. If you reinstall them, they will just automatically work, and there is no calibration procedure that can be or needs to be done. There will be nothing you can do to stop the chime and message at each startup informing you that the front park sense is turned off, unless you replace the module with the one that is only capable of rear park sense.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
So I added the rough country winch mount. I am wondering if I can drill holes in it and extend the wires to get my sensors to work. Right now they are turned off on the front as the winch mount covers 2 completely and 2 more partially.

Wonder if placement and proximity to each other is critical or if I could move the inboard and center ones to the mount and leave the outboard ones on the bumper?

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
So I added the rough country winch mount. I am wondering if I can drill holes in it and extend the wires to get my sensors to work. Right now they are turned off on the front as the winch mount covers 2 completely and 2 more partially.

Wonder if placement and proximity to each other is critical or if I could move the inboard and center ones to the mount and leave the outboard ones on the bumper?
Placement and proximity doesn’t matter as long as none of them are obstructed. You just have to be careful how much the outboard sensors are facing sideways. If the outboard sensors are facing too much to the side, they will pick up cars you’re driving next to.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Placement and proximity doesn’t matter as long as none of them are obstructed. You just have to be careful how much the outboard sensors are facing sideways. If the outboard sensors are facing too much to the side, they will pick up cars you’re driving next to.
Cool not planning on moving the outboards they should be fine. Just the middle and the inboards are impacted.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sorry probably should have mentioned the bumper I’m looking at doesn’t have the sensor holes. But when u put the sensors in the new bumper was it just plug and play basically? Did you have to mess with the orientation of them at all?

Backwoods has the correct notches for the different bezels, so it’s just plug n play for the front. The rear bumper had to have the wires extended a couple inches as the sensors are moved a bit to get away from the shackle mounts.

·
Registered
665 Posts
RanchHand also has bumpers with the holes cut out for the sensors. BTBRV did a video with a truck getting Ranch Hands with sensors to give you an idea.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I was able to trick the sensors. So they are still plugged in but just tucked into the bumper. I get no ding on startup or warning lights.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts