Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering why Mag-Hytec, Goerend, etc specify that only a fibre gasket be used with their trans pans. Anyone here know why?

I have the Mag-Hytec pan and there's always some leakage with the fibre gasket. Never had any leakage with the stock pan/gasket!

Also, the hex bolts provided with the Mag-Hytec pan are a pita:frown2: compared to the stock standard bolts.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Because, there’s no lateral support from the aftermarket pans. I have a B&M pan with a silicone lined gasket that doesn’t leak at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because, there’s no lateral support from the aftermarket pans. I have a B&M pan with a silicone lined gasket that doesn’t leak at all.
Re "lateral support", are you referring to the "lip" on the stock pan?

Apparently some are using the stock Mopar OEM gasket with these aluminum pans - with no leakage problem! Anyone hear otherwise?

·
Registered
981 Posts
The lip or on our trucks there’s no lip but there is a bit of a ridge that runs down the middle of the surface.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I prefer Lubelocker gaskets on aluminum pans, and the rigid factory gasket on steel pans.

Both the above gaskets are reusable.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Whatever you do ,, do not use the thick oem gasket on one of the huge alum aftermarket pans.

Bolts are too short , bad times for the trans threads . dont ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever you do ,, do not use the thick oem gasket on one of the huge alum aftermarket pans.

Bolts are too short , bad times for the trans threads . dont ask.
Bingo! I think you've answered my question. That thought never occurred to me. Thanks for the reply amigo!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Fiber gasket here no leaks. Most people over tighten the bolts which crushes the fiber gasket causing leaks. 10ftlbs is all ya need

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I prefer Lubelocker gaskets on aluminum pans, and the rigid factory gasket on steel pans.

Both the above gaskets are reusable.
Thanks! Too bad the dealer list on LubeLocker's web site doesn't work - I need a gasket today!!

$40.16 incl tax/shipping. That's a no-go for me. Seriously, $40 bucks for a gasket?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
$25 at Summit.

If one's counting to save $ - then, as mentioned above, 10 lbs-ft on a DRY fiber gasket does the trick just fine.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You should go back and retorque the fiber gaskets after about a week. 10-12 ft lbs... No leaks, and maximum transfer of the pan's structural rigidity to the case (which is one of the main reasons for running an aluminum pan).

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Ah, since I don't expect free shipping on a low dollar item, I generally ensure I order enough product to squeak by for "free shipping".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts