Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
It is a nice looking piece. Hopefully someone has used it and will chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find any info on this ever being installed on a 2nd gen, so I'm just gonna go for it... I'll post a new thread with before/after pics and install notes.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Looks kinda lightweight to me....especially holding up a 40lb. turbo.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The only thing bad about the one piece manifolds is that they are more prone to eventually cracking either the block or the manifold at the mounts because of the manifold getting hotter than and expanding more than the block. More so if you have high egt's. The 3 piece manifolds were developed specifically prevent that problem. The joints can move during high heat preventing a load across all the block flanges at once.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've been using one for years now on my 6.7l isb. I tow very heavy, no issues.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
That's the AFE ductile iron Bladerunner, I run one myself...very heavily built and flows good too, I checked it on a flowbench compared to my ported stock exhaust manifold. Ran better on my engine up the Test Hill I use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't find any info on this ever being installed on a 2nd gen, so I'm just gonna go for it... I'll post a new thread with before/after pics and install notes.
Did you ever pull the trigger on the stainless header? Curious about cracking and discoloration.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My experience is on a 1996 12 valve. I bought on July 30-31 2019. Overall a very nice piece, very solid. My dislikes at the time were only 3 items.

1st, on the front runner between 2 and 3 the manifold looks like it was ground down for some reason. Very ugly looking. I contemplated returning it for another but figured since i was putting a blanket on it, it wouldn't matter in the long run.

2nd, after have run it for a short period of a couple months, just a couple thousand miles if that, the whole thing is a red/orange rust bucket of a manifold. More unsightly than the stocker. Even the spacers they sent are rusted up.

I am in the midst of doing an overhaul on the engine, so I will be sand blasting the manifold and spacers, then painting them with grill paint, or DIY heat coating. Just something to make it look better. I still have the blanket on it, but the blanket doesn't cover all of it.

3rd, the EGT threaded bung is too small. I can not put my EGT probe in the manifold using their spots. I have it in the elbow of the turbo right now, but will be drilling and tapping the manifold to the proper size. It was frustrating to find that out during the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Reactions: 02/5.9L

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
I wanted to avoid the cracking/warping/rusty style, and went with a Stainless Diesel manifold. Very pleased with it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wanted to avoid the cracking/warping/rusty style, and went with a Stainless Diesel manifold. Very pleased with it.
Pics?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did actually get the aFe stainless header installed, I have almost 1500 miles on it now. No issues, but it doesn't seem to affect performance significantly. It's already installed so I'll leave it in there, but I don't think it's worth what it costs.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,864 Posts
$1100 is a lot of coin... At least it looks nice. (y)

·
Registered
206 Posts
These guys have been around a long time

https://www.jet-hot.com/
Just got a quote for coating the manifold, the spacers for the bolts, turbine housing, and BD exhaust brake housing. $750 plus shipping both ways.

I do think I’m going to do a DIY of it. They are going to be covered up by lava blankets anyways.i do t need pretty, just functional.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just Bought one of these after reading for 3 days about different manifolds 😂 I read the 3 piece have issues sealing after a while but not many have had this issue. I did not read about any of the one piece manifolds cracking head studs/bolts from expansion. The Ductile Iron is supposed to combat the expansion and contraction very well and not allow this. I guess I will see.

Thats good info tho about it not being coated and it getting rusty fast. I plan to do just a coat of some High heat paint on it and call it a day. I don't need anything fancy fancy.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I painted mine(ductile iron) high temp flameproof I believe. I is holding up rather well, despite heavy towing.

1. Just a bit of fatigue, and minor rust. Picture after four years of towing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts