Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at the stage 1 intakes and wondering who has what and the pros and cons between the pro dry S and the oiled stage 1 intakes offered by afe

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I,ve been told you want to stay with a dry filter. If the oil filter is over oiled it could cause turbo problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yes but from what i have heard the dry intakes let small particles of dust and dirt into your engine...but im sure someone who knows will chime in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Talking filters can be like talking politics

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Like mudn_1 said run a dry filter and if you are worried about small particulate then run a pre-filter over it and you will be good to go :thumbsup. I am running the AFE Stage II Pro-Dry and it is an awesome filter :woot:.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Like mudn_1 said run a dry filter and if you are worried about small particulate then run a pre-filter over it and you will be good to go :thumbsup. I am running the AFE Stage II Pro-Dry and it is an awesome filter :woot:.
if you go with an oil filter...like the AFE PG7 i have, use an aerosol type oil and lightly mist it. as long as your not drowning the filter in oil, you wont have problems. its not that difficult..............

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
if you go with an oil filter...like the AFE PG7 i have, use an aerosol type oil and lightly mist it. as long as your not drowning the filter in oil, you wont have problems. its not that difficult..............
:agree2: Same here. I have both filters, but run the oiled for daily driving. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
:agree2: same here.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Shoot... I'm still running my first BHAF and got 60K miles on it now and the filter minder has moved yet... No need to clean, no need to oil, etc... Just works! :popcorn:

I got to admit the outerwears extends the life of any filter alot! :w:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Shoot... I'm still running my first BHAF and got 60K miles on it now and the filter minder has moved yet... No need to clean, no need to oil, etc... Just works! :popcorn:

I got to admit the outerwears extends the life of any filter alot! :w:
i used to run a BHAF but around here they are $70!!! :thud: and i found myself replacing them twice a year

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
i used to run a BHAF but around here they are $70!!! :thud: and i found myself replacing them twice a year
Hmmm... how about $39 a filter???
BHAF Air Filter

And my filter has the filter minder in it from my stock air filter box... 4 years old and still has moved the minder yet...:rof

I think you changing filters too much...:w:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that I decided to go with a BHAF w/ outerwear pre-filter and my dad is making a heat sheild out of 16 gauge metal. I am then going to prime it and paint it with CASE construction engine black to help disapate the heat. Thanks for all the posts and for your input

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey guys how often do we have to change out the oiled filters? I heard we have to clean and reoil at 20-30k. But these things have to get worn over time right?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey guys how often do we have to change out the oiled filters? I heard we have to clean and reoil at 20-30k. But these things have to get worn over time right?

You might want to check this out.

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - BHAF (Big Honkin' Air Filter)

Also, cleaning and re-oiling "reusable" filters create holes. I know some will debate this but it is only time (say 3 cleanings) till the pin holes start showing up and letting in dirt. The holes develop from a multitude of factors, the cleaning agent, larger particles of dirt dislodging from where they got sucked it, too much water pressure when rinsing the filter, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts