Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back i had read a post in regards to removing the afc arm completely, the post had statd that removing it eliminates the need to adjust the smoke screw, star wheel and housing, i was wondering if anyone else has more info on this or if they they have heard of this. I can not find that post on here for the life of me anymore

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
yes, removing the arm (disabling the AFC) is somewhat common for those who dont care to properly tune their truck or just like alot of smoke. the arm is what actually limits the gov arm movement, the starwheel/spring/smoke screw/ect are what control the arm. with the arm removed, these adjustments dont do anything.

Doing so, means that YOU have to control the preboost/transient fueling with your foot. Too much fuel for the conditions and your going to just make smoke and stall the turbo, not enough, and well i think you can figure that one out. Get it just right and itll fly!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have it removed and the only smoke i get is a puff if i am at a stop and just put it to the floor it will give a bit of a cloud till the turbo spools up and then when i make it grunt in a higher gear without makin it down shift

·
CO President
2,534 Posts
Its pretty easy. Just pull the AFC off, unbolt the keeper that holds the lever in pull the rod and the foot comes off. Put the rod back in, bolt it back on. Would be good to plug the air hole on the head as well, but you can just let it put pressure on the diaphram without a problem.

·
CO President
2,534 Posts
bad idea for a street truck IMO. why not just tune your afc?
Why do you say that? It is done on my truck and it works just fine. You tune it as you need it with your foot. I would not recomend it if you dont know how to drive and use the throttle as an on of switch though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i know it works fine, i have had mine on and off, just to see how it was. i personally would rather have it on and tuned. without its basically just a smoke show and takes a little longer to light the turbo. i know you say you tune it with your foot but thats no where near consisitent at all. sometimes you'll get it right on, but most of the time you can't. to each their own, but i'll take a tuned one over none anyday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree with you ninerqb8 we just know our trucks, i like being in control anyone can drive them other guystrucks only we know ours

·
CO President
2,534 Posts
It really is a personal preferance. Although I dont think I would do it if I had an auto truck. I know there are alot of times it is harder to roll into the throttle and keep it from smoking too much. Once you pull the plate though none of it makes a huge difference from there anyhow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
with my auto i have no problem rollin into the throttle without makin a big cloud it is all by sound

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.