Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to be installing a aeromotive a1000 and im curious as where and how to hook up the aeromotive regulator :confused013:. anyone else running this pump that can give me some tips and what fittings i should use to hook up my half inch fuel lines ??

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Well like any regulator you have to plumb the return back to the tank via a fitting on the tank, or filler neck, or you might be able to plumb it into the factory return.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how it is set up now i have my injector return line ran over to a t block which the overflow valve also runs into then runs back to the tank would i just plum from there to the regulator , what i came up with was sump to pump , pump to filter , filter to regulator , regulator to p7100 , p7100 overflow back to regulator and return back to tank ? correct ? kinda confusing lol

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
how it is set up now i have my injector return line ran over to a t block which the overflow valve also runs into then runs back to the tank would i just plum from there to the regulator , what i came up with was sump to pump , pump to filter , filter to regulator , regulator to p7100 , p7100 overflow back to regulator and return back to tank ? correct ? kinda confusing lol
My only concern with using the factory return is volume and pressure. Since I don't know anything about both of those variables for that pump. I would say see if you can set something up semi permanent and try it. If it doesn't play well then you know you have to run an independent return back to the tank. I think it will work though provided the return from the regulator does not create more pressure in the return line than what the overflow valve is set at.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it all put together can post pics when i get time and some good pics of it all really wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be once i got tearing into it i must say this puts all my past airdogs to Shame !

·
Registered
758 Posts
got it all put together can post pics when i get time and some good pics of it all really wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be once i got tearing into it i must say this puts all my past airdogs to Shame !
Keep us informed!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bumping this back up, wanting to go aeromotive ASAP as my 4th airdog just quit right before racing season. Interested to see how you did the install.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'd like to see this setup also. I'm looking into lift pump ideas for my 12v truck build. and am hesitant going with a fass or Airdog from all the problems I've heard and my past Airdog experiences I had. Can the aeromotive pump be mounted above the tank? Like if the pump was mounted in the bed a foot above the highest part of the fuel tank? What filter setup and regulator are you using?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey just want to give you some guidance been using aeromotive stuff for years in out racecars.

Tank to pump -12 or 3/4" with a 40micron filter between
Pump to inlet of P-Pump -8 or 1/2" I used cat filters between
P-pump outlet to inlet of regulator -8 or 1/2"
Outlet of regulator to tank -8 or 1/2"

Real simple setup. Just a couple things to keep in mind
-mount pump as close to tank as possible
-Make sure the suction from tank to pump is big enough so pump will not burn its self up
-Use a EFI regulator to set pressure
-Mount regulator after pump but close to the p-pump

Enjoy the constant pressure. No more junk stock fuel system.
-

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
1quicket so you run a a1000 on your p pump truck? What psi do you get at idle and at wot under load? Looking to see how well it holds pressure compared to my Airdog that gets sucked down under load. Is the -12 or 3/4" suction part (tank to a1000 pump) needed or can you run a 1/2" or -8 and be fine to? Can you mount the pump above tank level say a foot or 2 above highest part of tank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The return style regulator keeps pressure constant idle or wot. Set it to what you truck likes. Pushing fuel through the P-pump then into the regulator will maintain pressure where you set it. The ideal place to mount the pump is so that it will be gravity feed. Like a fuel cell but most people that is not a option in a truck. You NEED big as feed as possible. I have worked with aeromotive on several fuel systems and this is what they recommend.

If you don't have a a1000 already the Holey dominator is a good option. Also several people like the Fuel Lab stuff but I have no experience with them.

If you are needing fittings for the P-pump go here
Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
By running the return style regulator after the p pump. so it regulates it after flowing through the pump would this take the place of the overflow valve? By running fuel through the p pump like that unregulated is that damaging to the pump at all? Won't have a rack or anything stick will it? Could you post the part number for the pump and regulator you use on this application. My tank will be mounted under the bed but I will either have my pump at the highest point under the truck or up in a sealed box in the bed. I don't have a a1000 yet as I'm still deciding what route I want to go for a pump. Weary of going with a fass or Airdog as I want as reliable as possible. I've looked into fuel labs stuff I heard it was decent stuff. If I went with a a1000 setup or similar I was going to run these filters with it. VP MAX Dual Remote Filter Kit

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Remove the OFV and run the line off the banjo fitting or use a 90* fitting off that port and run it to the regulator. The pressure in the pump will be whatever you adjust it to with the regulator. 160/175 pumps should be 40-80 psi and 180/215 pumps should be around 40-50 psi.

I wouldn't put the pump more than a few inches about the fuel level, they are not supposed to suck fuel very hard and will over work.
You can also find filter heads for much cheaper from big rig suppliers.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
the cam in the older 160/175 pump has a slower fill rate. So more pressure is needed to refill the plungers after each stroke. They'll run fine at lower pressures, but for all out performance more pressure works better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have heard several people running 50psi but not much over that. I am no expert by any means. My background is in the gas world. Ha ha... I think I have all the part numbers still for filters and bases. I can get tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts