Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of ways to improve mileage and remembered the article about the guy that did all the aerodynamic improvements and got 30mpg in his dually.

1997 Dodge Ram 3500 Dualie Cummins - Diesel Power Magazine

So I took one of his ideas of covering up the grill because it's catching a lot of wind. But instead I just covered up the top two openings with Plexiglas so the bottom two and the fog light openings are taking in air for the radiators. I'll see if it affects the temps at all but think this will allow the air to move up and over the hood a little more...

The second thing I did was come up with a makeshift airdam to deflect some of the air away from all the undercarriage. I'm trying to find the right material to extend the factory airdam down 3 or 4 more inches but it's got to look clean. Until then, I u-bolted a piece of sheet metal to that suspension (?) bar that runs along the front. Is this a stationary bar? Is it ok to mount something to it? Anyway, I bolted it to the bar and it looks like it will deflect a lot of the wind that would have drag on the oil pan, trans cross member, etc.

Don't know if any of this will help but it's worth a try and looks pretty hidden.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I'm currently at 21.7 to 23.3 MPG...

Here is how I'm doing it...:w:
Better MPG's

Read the signature...:w:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm currently at 21.7 to 23.3 MPG...

Here is how I'm doing it...:w:
Better MPG's

Read the signature...:w:
I was at a solid 21-22 hwy with just a BHAF and 4" exhaust (4" resonator and non-freeflow Dynaflex 4" muffler). Normal hwy driving is about 65-70mph right around 1800 rpm.

Since then I've added the Edge EZ and intercooler misting. Testing this tank with just the EZ and no misting. We'll see hot it goes along with the aerodynamic changes. This will be a city driving test. Was getting about 17 city. I hope to see at least 18, love to see 19 city. :thumbsup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts