Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install an aeroturbine 4040xl on my 05 Quad Cab SB, I want to eliminate the cat at the same time.

Through my findings people have said to mount the 4040xl as far to the rear as possible to eliminate as much drone as possible.

This is what I've found:

"I have the 4040XL with the cat deleted. It sounds great, not to loud or with any drone quite at highway speeds but louder when you get into the pedal. If you put it further back next to the axle (12" away from the bend for the axle) you will be happy and get no drone, the 4040XL has a small resonator in it that will keep drone done but not restrict the flow."

"I got the SS 4040XL Kit here, comes with the off-set pipe. Installed it myself. Very easy install. I'll tell you one very very important thing. Install the muffler as far to the rear of your truck as possible. I put mine 4 inches in front of the bend where the pipe goes up over rear axle. Do not install it 4 inches behind the cat. The drone will drive you crazy."

"I installed mine 4 inches behind the cat, as it said in the installation instructions. When pulling my 5er or under any load the drone was a killer. I called them (Aero) up and they told me, that installing it 4 inches behind the cat (or if you cat got lost, behind the turbo) would help lower egt. If I didn't want any drone, to install it as far to the rear of truck as possible, under the truck bed, back more than the stock muffler was. I installed it 4 inches in front of the tail pipe bend where it goes up over rear axle. NO DRONE, I love it and it sounds excellent."

So my question is what do I need to do this?

It seems many people order from Parleys Diesel, they have an offset pipe and I am wondering if this will place the muffler far back enough??

Parleys Diesel Performance: Aero Exhaust Resonated (XL) & Non-Resonated Turbine High Performance Mufflers

Also, for the cat delete I will need a section of straight 4" is this correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know much about quadcabs, but I would think placing the 4040xl in the same spot as the muffler would be just fine. As far as the cat delete, from what I read on here you are correct. Parleys might even sell a cat delete kit?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took my cat out and out the 40/40 xl in its place. Sounded great only drone was between 1400 1600 rpm under load. quiet while crusing. Ran it for a few years then i got older bought a camper and had a kid and just put a 40/40 in front of the rear axle along with the 40/40 xl. Kept the same sound but toned it down a lot. Have not towed with it yet like this but im sure it will make our long trips more pleasant.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Here is my Aero 4040xl. I still have the cat on. The Aero is in the stock muffler location and I do have the offset pipe. Very, very little drone. I like the rumble :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does the offset pipe do? Where does it offset it to?

The reason I ask is i want to delete the Cat and move the muffler 4-12" in front of the bend for the axle...

So I am trying to figure out what all I will need, the offset pipe and a section of 4" straight (since i am deleting the cat)....Does this sound right? Or do I not need the offset if I am moving it back further?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here is my Aero 4040xl. I still have the cat on. The Aero is in the stock muffler location and I do have the offset pipe. Very, very little drone. I like the rumble :thumbsup:
What size tip did you put on?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I've read that an EAG ahead of the 4040XL is a good match to cut objectionable noise.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Re: offset pipe

If you look at the 4040xl the muffler is straight through. Look at the stock muffler and the inlet and outlet are offset. Thus the exhaust pipes on the truck are offset.

If you got the 4040xl only (and no offset pipe), leave as much pipe on the truck as you can when you cut the stock muffler out. The 4040xl will go on at a slight angle to gap the offset. You might have to pull in the tailpipe section to reach. The details will depend on the truck, but that's the main stuff.

If you remove the cat, you'll get a drone. I have a 4040xl and cat and on accel. and lugging there's a drone. Its fine when cruising though. Just don't expect your setup will be quiet all the time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
def wanting to do the areo muffler , as of now i have straight pipe all the way no cat or muffler, your talking about having drone if i mount it right off the down pipe ... so question is even if i mount it forward the drone is gonna be less than what i have now correct????

·
Essington Avenue Auto
662 Posts
i would mount it where the old muffler was. thats where mine is w/out a cat and no drone except when i pulling up a hill. cruising it's just slightly louder than i was stock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts