Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm 18 years old I have a 04.5 with 113,000 miles auto tranny with after market valve body an single disk converter it came with a k an n intake edge juice an I bought a bully dog power pup for 75 dollars I am goin to linemen school after I get my electrical certification but right know I ant makin a whole lot of money we have our own pallet business so I'm just workin for my dad til I get out of college but I would like for u guys to give me a good list an the prices for some good mods to do to my truck so I can start pickin away at it i would eventually like to get it around the 750 hp mark but if u guys don't mind I would like to have a good list to go by

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
leave it stock till you finish school and are working making money. i would not touch it at your age or situation this is a very expensive hobby. get setup with your job and then worrie about it right now you need to have a truck that will last.

and if your really want to get into the utility biz go to pge.com and look at careers. you can get into any entery level job and 6 months latter bid out to lineman we have been hiring linemen nonstop. might save you awhole lot of time and money in school.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I plan on keeping it like it is for now but I just want a list to go off I might buy a fee things here an there but not put on yet but thanks for the info I will look into it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An i also pull alot I break horses an ride alot an fiddle a few cows both if the trailers i have weigh bout 11 to 13 thousand loaded an my truck pulls it pretty well but would still like for you guys to give me a good list an round about prices

·
MO chapter Vice President
1,398 Posts
Put a lift pump on the truck and some good 2 micron filters. This will protect your injectors, and make the truck cheeper to operate in the long run( bexause injectors are pri$y). Your edge will like the extra fuel also!

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide App

·
Diesel sniffer
3,801 Posts
Put a lift pump on the truck and some good 2 micron filters. This will protect your injectors, and make the truck cheeper to operate in the long run( bexause injectors are pri$y). Your edge will like the extra fuel also!

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide App
Agreed, and like the previous posters said, this hobby gets REALLY expensive and totally addictive. I'd hate to see you holding up convenience stores so you can get that 2 pc. exhaust manifold!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Get rid of the K&N first of all they have had problems as far as not being a good system and just wait for awhile, like some members have said mods will drain your wallet fast JMO...

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Id even hold off on buyin the things now because theyll sit in a barn and one day youll say well im just gonna try it out. Then bam parts break and no truck. Cause like said above, unbelivably addicting.

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
Agreed.

Many have boldly gone where you are wanting to go... and paid the price.

I have approximately 1/2 the purchase price of my truck invested in repairs and upgrades so far, and if I keep going down this road, the mods/repairs will equal or surpass the cost of the truck.

When you start breaking things, expect to shell out a minimum of $1000 per incident. Plan for that. It will happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok ya have me convinced on holding off so think all I'm goin to do is get rid of the k an n an get a s n b intake an get a lift pump to save injectors what kind of lift pump do you guys recommend

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
Your stock pump will work fine, assuming it's still working. Better filtration is the key point to take away from that. If your stock pump is working well, filtration will be cheaper and easier to install. You won't even need to think about a non-stock pump until you get into the 600+ range... though many disagree.

The key to understanding if you need it or not is to monitor low-side fuel pressure. This is also good for monitoring the performance (clogged) of your filtration. So long as your filters are not clogged and you continue to make positive pressure on the low-pressure side of the system, you're good to go. If it ever drops to 0, you have a condition where the CP3 is demanding more flow than you can supply, then you need a better lift pump.

In fact, if you want to put some money into the truck in preparation for the eventual increase of power, there are a few gauges you can get.

EGT, Boost, Trans Temp (if automatic trans), Fuel Rail Pressure, Fuel Pressure

The last one in that list is the one I'm talking about above for checking the health of the lift pump and filters. EGT keeps you from melting things down. Trans temp keeps you from wearing your trans out by overheating it. FRP lets you see what's going on with your fuel rail, and is very handy for diagnosing issues with the high pressure fuel system.

Those 5 gauges and associated mounting hardware will come close to setting you back $800-ish. Refer to my prior comment about the cost of things when it comes to these trucks. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.