Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have a tentative offer on my megacab, I am now looking for an 03-05 QC/LB. I found two of them locally. One is an 04 2500 with 150,000 miles. The other an 03 3500 with 172000 miles. The trucks look nices from the outside, but should I be concerned with the mileage? I know the diesels can run for 300-500k miles, but I'm still leary about high miles (that old mindset is rearing up). The first is priced at $18900 and the other at $16500, respectively. Now there is also a 1994 R3500 standard cab auto with only 100k miles on it for $7500 and in good shape I was thinking of taking a step way back, but I don't know much about the older dodges.

I appreciate all the advice you all have provided previously, so I am back looking for more.

Thanks in advance
Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2500 03 HO has 160k on it and it is starting to have minor problems. Most important thing is to determine the maintenance record of the two vehicles. If a guys were worth their salt they recorded oil changes, fuel filter, transmission and engine services, etc. If i were going to spend that much money, i think i would invest another $100 to have an experienced diesel mechanic take a look. Them diesel parts is expensive!

·
Registered
292 Posts
just bought my 03 this last summer
200k miles on it when i picked it up
was clean and well maintained, now its gonna get put to work.
had to do some minor stuff - rear brakes, changed all the U joints, fixed oil leak
(front main)
had almost nothing for blow by, and you could tell it was never modded or abused.
picked it up for $13K.
other than the price sounding a little high (depends on the market in your area)
check it over good, or have someone check it.
and drive !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just bought my 03 this last summer
200k miles on it when i picked it up
was clean and well maintained, now its gonna get put to work.
had to do some minor stuff - rear brakes, changed all the U joints, fixed oil leak
(front main)
had almost nothing for blow by, and you could tell it was never modded or abused.
picked it up for $13K.
other than the price sounding a little high (depends on the market in your area)
check it over good, or have someone check it.
and drive !
I thought the prices were a bit high. I don't think the guy with the 2500 has much room to play since he has a loan. I don't know about the 3500 yet. I have even thought about going back to TX where I moved from and getting a truck, so that is an option. There are more to choose from, but it will cost to get there and back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
thats where mine came from
southern Nebraska.
cant buy rust free trucks up here in canuck land.
first thing i did was have the whole truck rust proofed.

when i was looking TX had a ton of trucks, especially long boxes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mileage

I don't know about the 2500, but the 03 3500 is a bit steep, I think. I bought my 03 QC 3500 dually over a year ago, 187000 mi for $15k. The car lot had a ball joint & the clutch replaced. I had to have the clutch replaced a few months later (the shop the lot used did a crappy job with crappy parts), & had a couple of leaks fixed, but that's about it.

The big thing to look at is the overall condition of the truck, inside & out. If the interior is clean & in decent shape, if the accessories all work, if the body doesn't have too many scratches or dings, if the drive line doesn't have a lot of oil or grease all over, its got good rubber, then it's a good bet the last owner took good care of the truck so the mileage shouldn't be an issue. Look for clues to what the truck may have been used for. Mine has a gooseneck hitch, a custom perhaps factory bed-liner and a Ranch Hand brush guard. When I was looking it over at the lot, I saw the bed liner was melted in one spot by the cab end. There were antenna mounts on both sides of the bed. Behind the rear seat, I found a riding crop. I also saw that, this being Texas, the paint had no fading & the dash & interior weren't sun-cracked. There were oil change/service/car wash stickers in the windshield. There were few scratches on the brush guard. All this told me that this truck was likely used by someone who did dressage horsemanship, pulled a horse trailer that probably had living quarters in it (powered by a generator, hence the melt spot in the liner), and kept the truck in a garage or under shelter when it wasn't being used. It was serviced regularly. This truck led a fairly easy life, and was a very good deal. I shopped for a Cummins dually for over a year before I found this one. Up til then, all the ones I found were either stupidly over-priced, or beat to death.

Hope this helps you a little.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts