Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to do some tank mods (aftermarket fuel/lift pump, tank vent), but how to access the tank is the question. The options are to remove the truck bed or drop the tank. Dropping the tank when it’s empty or near empty will make dropping the tank straight forward. However, I am exploring the option of removing the truck bed – by ONE person, no lift.

I understand that there are some risks involved, but I’m sure someone has done this. After disconnecting the driver side tail light, removing the 3 driver side truck bed bolts, and loosening the 3 passenger side cargo box bolts, from the driver’s side can I tip the bed up about 2 feet? (which should be enough room to do the mods)

I can use 2x4’s to hold the driver-side of the bed up while I work on the tank. Or is there another way to prop up the bed?

Aside from the possibility of the bed falling, will the passenger side of the bed bolts hold the weight of the bed?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Someone else had mentioned that I could slide the bed backwards and rest the bed on the tires. Also, call the rent-all place and get a hoist.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If i was going to do it myself, i would disconnect the brake lights, fill hose, body mount bolts, connect 2 straps in an X fashion inside the bed, get a come-a-long and find a tree or anything overhead that you could tie to. Then just crank the come-a-long and pick up the bed an inch or two, and drive the truck out from under it. Then you can just drive back under it and slowly let it back down. Come-a-long's or hoist can be bought from walmart or tractor supply of course and can range for as cheap as $40-$100. They are always handy.

Something like this.
Tractor Supply Company - 2 Ton Cable Puller
This one is 2ton and only $15.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Someone mentioned to me that I could remove the 4 bolts then loosen the last 2 (by the tailgate). Then I could jack up the front and block-it as I lift it. That should give me enough room to remove the 14" fuel canister, plus do whatever else.

Where I live, I can not think of a tree branch (nor anything else at the moment) that I can use as the overhead legally in my area.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just get a buddy and go ahead and take off all the bolts, tailights, filler hose, and ground and get your buddy to help you take off the bed. It took me a little longer since I had some more stuff like a trailer hookup inside the bed but you can pull the bed really easy. Just get a neighbor to help you and you will have it off in no time. I dont think it weighs any more than 200 lbs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed. I would just take the time to find someone to lend a helping hand. You will save yourself a LOT of hassle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When the bed was in the process of being lifted or dropped back down (either by a couple of folks or hoist of some sort), how did you prevent scratches:
(1) on the cab (maybe bumping into / denting the cab, or scratches)?
(2) the tail end of the bed that sits below the rear bumper?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Don't run into anything if you do not want bumps or dents on it. Set it down of a couple boards, set it in the grass, leave it on the hoist. Just use common sense.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You can also use long punches to help line the holes back up. It's definitely a multi person job though.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
Can you get some more people to help you pull bed off... Its quite a simple process... Especially with more hands.. Unless you are the hulk theres no way to get it off by yourself or at least not without a lift of some sort. there aren't many things to take off and it will make it much easier to have the bed off. good luck man

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
take and put large sheets of cardboard or something similar between the cab and the bed, will help prevent scratches

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your input. For a 1 person job and for the first time, doing this outside with no tree branch to use, I ended up using an engine hoist. I put / taped card board around the rear bumper edges (on each side) and between the cab and bed. It worked out well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts