Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has been watching me slowly build my 01 7.3. He is the original owner of a 04 Dodge 2500 5.9( Stock and everything is original). He asked me if i could do i build for him.

This is what he wants in order of importance

1. Reliability
2. Ability to tow his camper across country (its brand new with weight distribution hitch probably 6,000 pounds)
3. Fuel Economy
4. More Power ( He is pretty satisfied just wants some more so it tows easier )
im guessing around right under 400 hp?

I was thinking

1. MBRP 4" SS exhaust
2. Smarty Jr? or something else?
3. Autometer (Boost, Pyro, Trans) or Isspro
4. Call Goerend and see what they recommend (I am sure there are other options here too just not sure)
5. Intake (Not sure afe?)
6. Exhaust brake ?? ( he seems really interested in a "Jake Brake" I am not sure what to do there )
7. Fuel System upgrade?? ( I dont want to see him ruin his cp3 with bad fuel pressure)

His budget is not unlimited but he said he will put the money into it so he doesn't have to buy a new truck. Also, what vendors should i go through?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For long distance towing I would lean more towards a filtration upgrade and away from an aftermarket pump. Although I do own one, I hear too many stories of them going out on cross country trips; which leaves you stranded. For the mods to run 400hp extra fuel is not needed. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
For long distance towing I would lean more towards a filtration upgrade and away from an aftermarket pump. Although I do own one, I hear too many stories of them going out on cross country trips; which leaves you stranded. For the mods to run 400hp extra fuel is not needed. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed.

I would have him get a 2 micron fuel filter kit to save the life of his injectors.

Also, maybe a small turbo, something like an Aurora 3k might be nice for what he wants

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That truck needs probably nothing. Reliability is all that matters. Past fuel filtration / pump concerns he'd be far better off with a PRO PRIDE hitch and setting it up on a certified weight scale (via an easy formula) to keep front axle weight hitched and unhitched the same (and transfer tongue weight back onto trailer axles) as with any weight distribution hitch, but with an anti-sway that, in practice, eliminates trailer sway.

Truck shocks, tires, brakes, alignment, steering wander, CAC leaks (plus all new fluids /filters) all need attention per book schedule. A nice addition for a tow vehicle is a rear anti-roll bar (HELWIG) with fresh poly bushings and links on the front one.

Slop in the steering linkage ("wander") is a serious issue when towing.

Trailer brake wiring upgrade, suspension upgrades (shocks & equalizers) plus alignment and wheel/tire balancing on new LT tires (16" or better) is money far better spent as well. Plus a MAXBRAKE or DIRECLINK brake controller.

Chasing horsepower is stupid when the money is in the overall vehicle combination where braking & handling is maximized. 90% plus of all travel trailers are incorrectly hitched . . which means you and he have never driven one correctly sorted. Start there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 05 and towed my 5th wheel fron NJ to Ca and camped in the rockies many times,I fined that ride with more control is important so your relaxed behind the wheel.For me I installed firestone air bags with 25psi to stop the bounce on and off the helper spring and rancho adjustable shocks and bilstine shocks in the front nice ride even when the highway gets bad.. next was gauges to watch EGT's,Trans temp,boost..If heres pulling 6k and the trans works fine leave it alone! On my 04.5 I just used a trans cooler w/fan and worked great in controlling temps on hills and parking. But a mystery trans lock up switch would work great for the mountains in the rockies for power a good dry hi-flow airfilter,4" performance exhaust,then a smarty Jr or Sr...This way most of the issues are fixed but nothing has been mess with for reliability,, also change all fluids too!

·
Registered
286 Posts
My neighbor has been watching me slowly build my 01 7.3. He is the original owner of a 04 Dodge 2500 5.9( Stock and everything is original). He asked me if i could do i build for him.

This is what he wants in order of importance

1. Reliability
2. Ability to tow his camper across country (its brand new with weight distribution hitch probably 6,000 pounds)
3. Fuel Economy
4. More Power ( He is pretty satisfied just wants some more so it tows easier )
im guessing around right under 400 hp?

I was thinking

1. MBRP 4" SS exhaust
2. Smarty Jr? or something else?
3. Autometer (Boost, Pyro, Trans) or Isspro
4. Call Goerend and see what they recommend (I am sure there are other options here too just not sure)
5. Intake (Not sure afe?)
6. Exhaust brake ?? ( he seems really interested in a "Jake Brake" I am not sure what to do there )
7. Fuel System upgrade?? ( I dont want to see him ruin his cp3 with bad fuel pressure)

His budget is not unlimited but he said he will put the money into it so he doesn't have to buy a new truck. Also, what vendors should i go through?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bobby
Besides the truck in my sig I also have an 04 3500 and all it does is tow a 3 car trailer. For your mods its really simple. I would leave the exhaust alone if you don't plan on doing turbo upgrades. These are all the things I would say is necessary:

- Airdog or Fass. The truck has the canister mounted lift pump so get rid of it and run and airdog or fass.

- Gauges like boost, egt, trans

- Smarty jr for power.

- Air bags like Firestone ride rite.

These things are not necessary for towing 6k but it will make for a nicer ride:

- Trans upgrade. The trans can remain stock for only towing 6k. But without dropping the trans a good upgrade is a valve body and lsa strap. Here I would go with Goerend.

- tq coverter. Goerend

- exhaust brake. Pacbrake or BD. Make sure to get a controller so that it locks up the converter when you use the exhaust brake.

- air intake and horn. I like S&B

- Spool aid. I believe Rollinsmokediesel has these?

- Intake plenum. GDP air boss or Wilson Thrasher.

- Upgrade the steering to the 09+ (if its a 4x4)

- BD Steering box brace.

- shocks. Bilstein.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts