Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im lookin at buyin this 97, it is a california truck. Its throwing a chck eng. light. The owner thinks its a EGR issue. What I want to know is A: if this is from egr is that a major issue or can it be ignored until deleted? 2: I live in FL and will be bringing it back, is this check eng light gunna prohibit me from passing inspection and getting it registered? Thanks yall.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I live in Florida too (Orlando) and there is no inspection in this state. My truck is modded and blowing black smoke when I registered it in Florida. Maybe Miami has inspection I don't know.

Do an ECU code check by cycling your ignition three times and reading the flashing check engine light. You can find out how to do it here on the forum under tech support.

If you have a Check engine on a 12V you might want to check oil pressure, Coolant levels and fuel pressure. Maybe you have a sensor that has gone wacky. 12V motors are Mechanical engines and don't rely on Computers to run. As long as those for-mentioned items are good you don't have anything to worry about. It might be a gremlin in the computer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I, to, have a Cali '97. I am taking the EGR plumbing off now. My check engine light has been on since I disconnected the EGR system. There is a procedure posted here to shut off the light but you do lose the warning light function. This should enable you to register the truck anywhere.

Just tried the diagnostic code procedure listed above. I get a "32" code which NOT on the list (list is for a '94). I suspect the code is for a non-functioning EGR but I have no data to support this.

I have decided to live w/o the light in favor of ditching this EGR stuff. I suppose I can reattach should I ever need some assistance in hunting down a gremlin.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
32 code = "Short or open in the EGR solenoid circuit. Check for loose, broken, or shorted wire in the EGR valve wiring and connectors. Possible air fuel ratio imbalance not detected during diagnosis."

From PCM Fault Codes

32 is usually a gasser code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.