Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! Been scrolling through the forums for a while and just now decided to post up. I know this isn't the best place for an introduction but I figured I would be best off talking to the 12 valve natives first as I am in desperate need of your advice.... :S:

Anyways, been looking at 12 valves for the last 6 months and so far have only come across haggard, half arsed trucks that have not been cared for. Recently, one truck in particular has caught my attention. It's a 94, 4x4, goerend automatic transmission and torque converter, KDP killed, BHAF, upgraded fuel plate, upgraded control arms/ suspension and cold air conditioning. 325k on the clock. When I spoke with the owner over the phone he said that the main issues with the truck were minor oil leaks. Leaking valve cover and rear main seal. Leaks approximately 1 quart every 5k miles. Idler pulley is squeaking, probably a fatigued bearing. The body is in good shape, paint looks nice for the year and milage. Claims to have drove the truck daily for the last 2 years. He is asking just over 5k. Does this truck sound worthwhile or am I buying a ton of problems? Thanks for the help guys.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Offhand, based on what you're saying, I'd say it sounds reasonable, or maybe a LITTLE high based on year and mileage. Honestly, if you can't get it cheaper, I would strongly consider getting it anyway just to avoid the slightly cheaper ones with 3 times the problems. Those will probably end up not being cheaper when you get them fixed to the condition the one you're looking at is in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i don't think it is a bad price at all, the 94 i just picked up we got for 3k w/ 325k on the clock and it has a huge utility body and fuel tank and compressor in it set up for service. and it was all stock w/ a new trans, stock reman

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds a lot like the truck I bought about a month ago. It is a 96 reg. cab 4x4 5 sp with 260k on it. Paint is really good, interior o.k., no dash cracks, drives great no big issues, just a minor one or two that i will deal with in due time. I also looked for about 6 months, bought it sight unseen, had some misgivings, but I love it now that I have it. Gave 6700.00. Probably too much, but who's to say? I wanted it, I bought it, I don't regret it. Sometimes ya just gotta follow your gut instinct.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Man it must be slim pickins by you guys. I picked up mine about 6 months ago for half that, 2,500. 97 ECLB Laramie, truck was bone stock, cap, rebuilt trans (0 miles), 316k on the clock, ZERO , I mean ZERO rust on this truck and for NY I was amazed. I did replace the leaking tappet cover gasket, tabbed the KDP, put a bit of cash in for the usual maintenance of a vehicle. I had kicked myself for passing up the same size truck with 140k for 4,400 but hey what can ya do. Just be patient about this stuff but yeah if the truck has 0 mechanical problems and a straight body I would do some haggling but otherwise I'd go for the truck. Now it's back to shopping for GO FAST parts.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
its sounds like a good deal. but i would make sure that those oil leaks are not excess blowby

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just picked up an SCLB 5sp 4x4 with 127,000 on the clock a new clutch and no mechanical issues for 7800...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think any used truck is worth what you're willing to pay for it. I have a nice 98 with 160K miles, probably good to excellent cond and I think it "might' be worth $8K. I don't know about the other Long Island guy, but if I was offered $2,500, they price would jump to $10K on the spot (LOL). So a 94 as you listed does seem high for $5K, but if it's what you are looking for in an 18 year old Ram, go for it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
FF1063 You're on the Island?? Have you bombed out your rig or just a stocker? I'm in suffolk

·
Registered
183 Posts
dont buy it running into a bunch of troubles with all them miles on it.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not really afraid of the miles so long as it has been driven and major things kept up. Going to look at it on sunday, I'm not sold on it but if it's nice enough I will end up buying it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have a 12 valve with 306,000 miles spent over 3000 trying to fix it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What issues did your truck have?

·
Registered
21 Posts
man i just bought a 98 3500 quad cab 5 speed with a flat bed 12er with 186000 on the clock that had been well maintained for 10 grand, higher than blue book but anything cheaper than that was junk, its white with a ranch front bumper with leveling kit looks sharp, been lookin for this thing for 2 years, the dash isnt even cracked

·
Registered
323 Posts
The best advice anyone could give you is that the truck is worth what you're willing to pay for it. What happened to one of us might not be what happens to you. Does the truck have high mileage? yes but that doesn't spell the end of the world. It all depends on how the truck was maintained. My truck was mistreated as all heck by the guys that owned it before me. Fuel filter looked like tar, oil hadn't been done, diff were never serviced, and worst was the complete reckless abandon and destruction that was a gorgeous interior. I cleaned the hell out of it and the truck looks awesome. I'll be painting it (personal choice) when it warms up, needs new tires. Things like that can be on any vehicle. So when you go, especially with the price inspect the truck. Go over every little thing, bring a flashlight check for oil leaks (tappet cover is a common pain in the to change, ask me how i know) Start it up, run it, drive it. If the owner sounds like he's hiding something to hell with him, like the other guy said 3k in hidden costs is a damn nightmare. It's like I said with the other trucks I checked out before this one, this is not the last dodge diesel you will find. Good Luck

Reactions: dieselsmokeking

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
well it all depends what condition the truck is in. the engine could have 500xxx miles, if it was taken care of. runs good for a 500xxx mile truck then i would buy something with that high miles.

now if you buy a 500xxx miles truck for dirt cheap and it was NOT praised and well maintaind yeah your going spend that extra thousand to fix it up so its running and in great condition.

as the saying goes....

you get what you pay for......

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
FF1063 You're on the Island?? Have you bombed out your rig or just a stocker? I'm in suffolk
Hi bullitt, Yes Suffolk also. Other than a few personal touches, all stock from the factory. One day, someone will appreciate that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well guys, I ended up picking the truck up! Went out to california this weekend to visit some family and friends and checked out the truck on my way back to phoenix. Inspected it, drove it, and fell in love with it. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

1 - 20 of 20 Posts