Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if you put the adr 4K on a stock truck and ran it up to 4K rpms?

·
Wyoming Eastern President
2,964 Posts
Broken valve train parts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Broken valve train parts
at the very least. could smack a valve with the piston and cause serious damage. If it were me, i wouldnt try turnin anything more than stock till you AT LEAST get valve springs.

·
2,964 Posts
To be honest I feel comfortable with say up to about 3300 or 3400 on my truck but I DO NOT recomend it

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What mods would go into allowing the engine to turn those rpms and how much would that cost?

·
2,964 Posts
springs and push rods

fueling, turbo or turbos studs and maybe some porting to help flow wounldnt hurt

·
Registered
508 Posts
you would need valvesrings, some say pushrods but others say you dont need them, and a fluid dampner is a good idea. but really all you NEED is valve springs.

·
2,964 Posts
you would need valvesrings, some say pushrods but others say you dont need them, and a fluid dampner is a good idea. but really all you NEED is valve springs.

Dont you need added fueling and air to make it run right?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx a lot guys. This is sounding like there's a lot more than just using the programmer to allow it to run that high. Prolly won't be something i'll do anytime soon but it definitely sounds like fun.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
I been turning 4200rpm+ like its normal driving for 3 years with no issues. I have Hamilton 110# springs, Fluidampr and coolant bypass kit. Only thing you really need is Hamilton 110#, but the other parts are added insurance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
what is the coolant bypass and what does it do?

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
does somebody have some mods running to 3300rpm and then with the same mods running up to 4000rpm? Is it honestly worth the hassle for more rpm other then more mph per gear?

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
what is the coolant bypass and what does it do?
When turning over 4k rpm, coolant pressure spikes and builds pressure inside of the head. It causes the soft plugs to blow out sometimes. I didn't want to chance it, so I installed the kit. It has a pressure relief valve which routes excessive pressure out into the upper radiator hose. Here is a picture of the commonrail kit.

Enterprise Engine Performance - Common Rail Water Bypass Kit To Reduce Block Pressure At High RPM COOLING SYSTEM COMPONENTS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts