Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys quick question iv been wanting to adjust the valve clearance on my truck but cant find the time. How important is it to get done?? my truck has 190 thousand on it and is slightly noisyer than other 24 valves, but im curious if there is any dangers in delaying adjusting them??

· Kansas Chapter VP
Big Red. 1993 W350. NV 4500. HX35.
5,411 Posts
Hey,

To help you out:

Valve Adjustment

Well if you can hear them, they're not burning! Mine had over 210,000+ miles when I checked the valves and they weren't off very much at all!!!:thumbsup:

Not sure if mine had been checked before or not...:confused013:

Later,
Winslow

· Registered
133 Posts
i'm interested as well, i'm at 405,000 Kms (250,000 miles) and i've been told to not worry about it...virtually never needs adjusted... but any thoughts???

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks pro welder thats an awsome article on adjusting valves, but yeah im not sure iv always heard its sujested so im guesing its not to important. but also with more moded trucks is it more crucial to have the valves set right??

· Registered
1,464 Posts
the way i think to look at is. id rather be safe then sorry. personally id do it, im doing mine soon, honestly why not, its just preventive maintance and if anything it wont hurt nothing! just follow the guide

· Kansas Chapter VP
Big Red. 1993 W350. NV 4500. HX35.
5,411 Posts
Hey,

Also thought I would add the valves have a range to be set in, not just one set number!!:thumbsup:

And it's like .010 span!:shock::thumbsup:

I like the piece of mind knowing mine are correct, but you probably could easily never check them and get along fine!!!:thumbsup:

Later,
Winslow

· Registered
2,047 Posts
Most likely you won't have any problems other than lower power and fuel mileage than you could potentially be getting.

They do need adjustment from time to time but isn't going to destroy the engine if it's not done. I like to stay on top of things like this because I want this engine to run as efficiently as possible and last as long as possible.

Worst case scenario is the lash getting loose enough for one of the pushrods to slip out from under a rocker arm and get bent or one being too tight and burning a valve...both possible but highly unlikely.

· Registered
24 Posts
I know you say you dont have much time; and this is something you dont want to rush; but honestly by the time you take off your valve cover just to see where your valves are at your half way there; I took my sweet time getting them right on spec and it took like an hour and a half, start to finsh. I didnt notice much fuel milage imprvment but it did quite the motor a bit. 239K. and dont think they where ever touched.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok cool, im sure ill get aroud to it one of these days. thanks for all the imput tho.

· Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Worst case scenario is the lash getting loose enough for one of the pushrods to slip out from under a rocker arm and get bent or one being too tight and burning a valve...both possible but highly unlikely.
or if there is a decent amount of play you will stress the plastic retainer on the bottom of the rocker aand break it like i did, and have to replace the whole rocker assy.

just check it, dont listen to anyone who says it isn't important/ it's real esy to do, and very good preventive maintenance.

i learned the hard way, and would hate to see someone else have to do the same just because someone said don't worry about it

· Registered
1,130 Posts
Do it it's easy. I think they recommend every 100k miles. I did mine at 150k. The specs are on your engine label, drivers side, timing cover by the IP. Mine was .010 int and .020 ext. I found one ext that was a little loose. Maybe .022 lol.

· Registered
149 Posts
I did mine at 200k. I bought it used with 180k. I dont know when or if they were done. The mechanic just checked the front and rear, they were out, so he adjusted the others.

It made my engine have again as quiet and i picked up a mile or two. I didnt have the time. so i just paid cummins nw $200 to do it. well worth it imo.

· Mopar1973Man.Com
26,034 Posts
Does anyone have a link with the exact instructions on how to properly adjust them; ie the instructions. I want to do them myself. I'm no diesel mechanic but I'm handy and confident with a wrench.
I'm sure moparman will jump in he has a great instructions on it I followed his. Look him up on this site or check YouTube. They should be done ever 100k.
Here you go...
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Valve Lash Adjustment

· Registered
450 Posts
From the cummins manual.....valve clearance/overhead should be run every 150,000 miles. intake.010 exhaust .020 its all part of preventative maintenance. its important.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Does anyone have a link with the exact instructions on how to properly adjust them; ie the instructions. I want to do them myself. I'm no diesel mechanic but I'm handy and confident with a wrench.
Has no one heard of the FSM? The last time I looked, factory recommended procedures were there.:confused013:

· Registered
450 Posts
Has no one heard of the FSM? The last time I looked, factory recommended procedures were there.:confused013:
:agree2: but i threw up specs anyway haha

· Registered
1,296 Posts
I checked mine at 167k, was all ready to do some adjusting, and i got nothing, all were in spec, like right on. maybe i will try again at 200k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.