Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1993 CTD with a A518 transmission.It seems to be a tired transmission! I was hoping to replace the filter and fluid..and adjust the bands while I am underneath the truck.What are the adjustments for the bands???Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
i would like to kno to

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Ok here you go.

Front band adjustment.

It is located on the outside of the case. It is on the driver side of the trans. It is located about 4" forward of where the shift linkage comes up out of the trans.

Loosen the lock nut about 4 turn or so. Tighten the adjust screw in and torque it to 72 inch pounds. Then back the adjuster screw out 2.5 turns and tighten the lock nut down.

For the rear band.

Remove the trans pan. The adjust bolt is located on the passenger side of the trans by the rear corner. It is in a movable arm. Loosen the adjuster bolt locknut. Torque down the adjustment bolt to 72 inch pounds like the front band. Then back the screw out 2 turns and reset the locknut.

Replace the filter and fluid and go for a test drive.

Now the adjuster bolts are a square head. So a normal socket will not fit unless it is a 4 or 8 point. Most people do not have these. It isn't worth buying one eather. Just use a 1/4" wrench and pull with your little finger. With most people about 72 inch pounds is all your going to pull with that finger. :D

Reactions: DieselDon16

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 93 CTD as well. I have a rebuilt trans. with 35,000 miles on it, but my overdrive just started acting up. All the normal stuff (fluid levels, kick down arm, and filter are good) but im guessing i need to get to adjusting my band for 4th gear. Im going to assume that the rear band is the band i need to get to, which means getting in to the trans. pan. should i just go ahead and replace the solenoid at the same time? And what is the proceeder for the rear band?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
There is no band for OD. That is clutch packs.

how is OD acting up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yesterday the truck was shifting and driving fine. Got in it this morning and the truck just wouldn't shift to 4th gear getting on the high way. Heading back I tried using the O/D off switch, and it didn't change. I got closer to home and other gears started shifting up and down at odd speeds (like it was a throttle position sensor issue). I topped off the fluids and ran it down the road with no change.

Ideas???

Thanks.

Andrew

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Throttle position sensor only controls OD.

If the other gears were shifting incorrectly. You have other issues inside the trans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
craaaaaaap... I will start by pulling the TPS off tomorrow and giving it a good cleaning, i saw something else on the forum talking about giving that a shot. But, say that doesn't fix the shifting issues, there isn't any grinding or any odd noises or smells coming from the tranny, what else could be going wrong with a transmission with 35,000 miles on it? again, it wasn't a problem getting worse, it just showed up this morning.

Thanks again.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
there is also a trans fluid temp sensor that is on one of the steel lines coming out of the driver side of the trans, if it is unpluged or getting a bad conection it can also cause OD to act up.

also the VSS on the tail housing ( 2wd ) or t-case (4wd) can cause it to malfunction.

is the spedo working properly, or does it jump around ?

Dar

·
Registered
595 Posts
craaaaaaap... I will start by pulling the TPS off tomorrow and giving it a good cleaning, i saw something else on the forum talking about giving that a shot. But, say that doesn't fix the shifting issues, there isn't any grinding or any odd noises or smells coming from the tranny, what else could be going wrong with a transmission with 35,000 miles on it? again, it wasn't a problem getting worse, it just showed up this morning.

Thanks again.

Andrew
Slow down and think a minute.

The OD is a clutch pack electrically controlled by the PCM.
The PCM uses several inputs to decide when to shift it. They include,
Throttle position
Crankshaft position (speed)
Vehicle speed
Transmission temperature
Engine temperature
Phase of the moon.... Just kidding, but with bad grounds, dirty connectors, arcing brushes in the alternator, etc, you'd think it was lunar controlled.

Mechanically, the transmission is probably just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmm... I did notice a loose wire coming off my tranny cooler, i thought it was from the gage cluster that used to be on the truck. I will run over that as well.

Thanks

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
If you talking about the sensor on the trans cooler line. Being unpluged will drop OD. It is a high temp sensor.

·
Registered
896 Posts
What are some typical symptoms that would lead one to believe the bands need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What are some typical symptoms that would lead one to believe the bands need to be adjusted?
There really are none, and they don't require adjusting very frequently. If done once or twice in the llive of the trans it's likely enough. If you've worn that much surface off the bands that it needs it more often than that, the band is toast. The lining material is very thin.

Steve g

1 - 16 of 16 Posts