Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 dodge 2500,5.9 diesel steering column squeaks...raise up on the steering wheel and it stops...slight slack there but not much...I have seen two other posts about this problem but so far have not seen an answer...what say you?

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
Steering columns have been found with bad u-joints or bushings in them before.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tx. Bigfish...the squeak sounds like it is right under the horn button area but it could be somewhere else and transferring sound...it is a" drive you stone crazy" squeak and I have greased and WD 40 ed everything I could on the out side...maybe like you said...a steering wheel bushing or u-joint...I am 86 and can't do the work anymore so everything has to go to a shop...95 to 130 an hour is too much for me so guess I will have to live with it...Tx for your reply.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
You could probably pull the wheel and check that end. I have not done it but others have said it is easy. Do pull the battery cables first so the airbag can not be set off. Couple of sockets, screw drivers, a steering wheel puller and maybe torx should be all you need. No crawling under it. No need to go to a dealer either, any mechanic will do.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live on the coast in south Ms. so since the weather is cooling off soon I may be able to do that...since I don't have tot get down and up off the ground...Tx Bigfish for the reply..

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
Yea I think you can pull it and check the top end while sitting in the driver seat. Does you air bag light come on all the time.

·
Registered
‘98 2500 Quad cab 12 valve 4x4 with 5 speed
590 Posts
Here’s a couple possible areas for the squeak and their appropriate fix I found over on DTR
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Circle
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Circle

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I think you can pull it and check the top end while sitting in the driver seat. Does you air bag light come on all the time.
The air bag light comes on when first turning on key but goes off with all the other lights shortly after...my squeak is all the time rather than turning checked the brackets that hold the shaft to body...my guess it is something loose under the horn...oh yes, the little red gear indicator by the speedo is not showing the proper gear...wonder if that has something to do with the squeak...makes sense they bare related....I probably need to research how to repair that.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
If could have something to do with it as it sounds like somebody has had the steering wheel column partially dropped and mess up the cable connection for the indicator. Good thing air bag light goes off , means you do NOT need a clock spring replaced. If you do have the cash, 3 hrs = $500 at most shops, you might still want to go to a shop. Does not have to be the dealer, but a good mechanic is fine.

Depending on you finances and just how your 80 year old flexibility is you may still be able to work on it. If the noise is up at the top area you can still do it. If it is down at the bottom of the dash it would be a bit more difficult, but probably still possible with out laying on floor on back, just on the seat on your belly.

Do you have a son, grand some etc to help? Somebody here would likely even help if close by. Location?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The air bag light comes on when first turning on key but goes off with all the other lights shortly after...my squeak is all the time rather than turning checked the brackets that hold the shaft to body...my guess it is something loose under the horn...oh yes, the little red gear indicator by the speedo is not showing the proper gear...wonder if that has something to do with the squeak...makes sense they bare related....I probably need to research how to repair that.
That's a really nice thing to say Bigfish...Tx...guess I'll get a couple ear plugs and let-er squeak for now...Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
I would at least pull the wheel and lubricate any thing you can or see rubbing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would at least pull the wheel and lubricate any thing you can or see rubbing.
I'll see if I can get a cheap wheel puller somewhere and try it...right now we are in the middle of a very wet tropical storm so next week sometime...I'll let you kb
know if it worked...

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
Probably 10 to 20 bucks at Harbor Freight or Auto zone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts