Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says, my adj. track bar came unscrewed/apart. I was able to put it back together, the threads simply backed off, and it became two pieces. Now my steering wheel is upside down, wtf? The truck seems to be driving ok, the track bar seems to be adjusted as the wheels are even on both sides of the truck, but how do I get my steering wheel corrected. Btw, if anyone has ever had theirs come apart, you know how it feels. It is a very strange feeling. I was in mid turn, and the steering went really limp, like I broke a tie rod.:shock: So don't be lazy like me, check your jam nuts on your adj. track bar!:banghead: Anyways, how do I get my steering wheel back to normal?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You can go the simple route and undo the steering shaft and spin it around? did your piman arm do a 180 on ya? check it out. it should face forward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the pitman arm, but driving home today I noticed it wouldn't turn as tight to the left anymore. Not sure exactly what this means, but maybe unbolting the steering shaft would be the quickest fix?

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Sounds to me like you didnt tighten your jam nut down. I would just screw the link back into the trackbar and keep adjusting till your steering is correct. Dont just turn the wheel, you will break a SIR Coil in the column and throw and Air Bag Light. The Pitman Arm should face towards the rear of the vehicle and be parrallel to the frame(center).

The reson your steering wheel moved, is becuase the axle moved positions and slid to the passenger side of the truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds to me like you didnt tighten your jam nut down. I would just screw the link back into the trackbar and keep adjusting till your steering is correct. Dont just turn the wheel, you will break a SIR Coil in the column and throw and Air Bag Light. The Pitman Arm should face towards the rear of the vehicle and be parrallel to the frame(center).

The reson your steering wheel moved, is becuase the axle moved positions and slid to the passenger side of the truck.
I agree that it moved, but with it put back together and all the measurements are good, why would my wheel still be upside down?
Also, if I unbolted the steering shaft at the gearbox and spun the wheel, would that give me an airbag light? By adjusting the track bar solely, that would straighten my wheel?

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
The SIR Coil can only move to a certain point, after that it will break and cause a light to come on as well as dissable your Air Bags.

If your axle moved, then then it took the pitman arm with it, which caused your steering wheel to turn although your wheels are still pointing straight ahead. There is no way the you skipped teeth in the steering gear, so your point of contact between the steering wheel/column and the gear would not change. I would double check to make sure your axle is center and then adjust your steering wheel with your drag link. Was it centered before?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The SIR Coil can only move to a certain point, after that it will brak and cause a light to come on as well as dissable your Air Bags.

if your axle moved, then then it took the pitman arm with it, which caused your steering wheel to turn although your wheels are still pointing streigh ahead. There is no way the you skipped teeth in the steering gear, so your point of contact between the steerinf wheel/column and the gear would not change. I would double check to make sure your axle is center and then adjust your steering wheel with your drag link. Was it centered before?
It seemed centered before, but it's been a long time since I actually measured it. I have noticed over the past 4-6mos my steering wheel was slowly creeping more and more to the left, but I figured it was just alignment. Thinking about it now, maybe my track bar was slowly coming apart for 4-6mos?

Don't know if it matters or not to this topic, but I replaced the gearbox around the same time I put the adj. track bar in about two years ago.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Well, the gearbox is splined and will only go in one way. Both the Steering Shaft and Pitman Arm. Like i said before, Make sure all your steering components are tight, triple check to make sure your axle is centered between the frame, and adjust your steering wheel with the drag link. PS, use a 3ft wrench to tighten the Jam Nut on the TracBar so this dont happen again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had the same thing happen. What do I do now...? How do I get them back together? How do I know if my axle is shifted? Blaahhhh. Idk what to do and no shop is open and I gotta be able to get to work in the morning!

·
On call 24/7
13,625 Posts
Make sure you use red lock tight on the jam nut

·
Registered
25,122 Posts
You did not adjust it right with and the steering wheel in the direct position when you put it back together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.