Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Adj the bands on the 48re

1163 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Diesel Nut
Is this a hard thing to do? I trid looking for the write up on here but had no luck finding it
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
I have a sheet on my computer but it wont let me upload says i have to many attchments, but it is right out of the service book for band adjustment i could email it to ya.

· Registered
214 Posts
I just did the one in the pan last night, but couldn't get to the one on the side of the transmission. The transmission does shift a little better so I can wait a little longer before doing a shift kit or valve body. The one I could get to was very easy to do. 72 in/lbs and back off three turns, lock it down and you're done. I was also pleased to see only a little gray sludge on the magnet...:party018:

· Registered
214 Posts
I put in 6 quarts exactly after the change and the level was right on. Also, don't do like I did and check the fluid hot and in park. It should be checked hot and in neutral.
The front band adjustment is on the outside of the transmission on the drivers side. You'll see the nut and set screw there, but I couldn't get to it without taking the front driveshaft out and I didn't have time for that.

· Registered
241 Posts
46 or 48

Which trans would have been in a 2003 2500 ext cab long bed CTD?
My manual shows a 46re and a 48re and its not my truck so I can't go look but will be adjusting the bands soon and want to read up
Thanks

· Registered
99 Posts
i just did mine, it was simple to do the only hard part was my torque wrench turned out to be junk and I had to go find one with the truck already taken apart.

thanks for the info.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what i thought i saw a torx head there and thought it was it so now i know. What size torx heads did you need so i can make sure i have the right ones

· Registered
1,019 Posts
so a lil new to this where exactly are these bands located at on the tranny? my 06 seems like it slips a lil going from first to second with very little throttle, but shifts just fine the rest of the way through.

· Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I believe its a T40 torx, but I can't be positive. As for procedure, its pretty simple.

Trq to 72 in lbs, back off the rear one 3 turns, the front one 1 3/4 turns. The front band is the only band that normally requires attention. The rear band should not require adjustment unless you experience slipping in reverse, as the rear band is only used for reverse and manual 1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.