Votes: 38 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 33.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you add additives when you refuel? I do on and off, don't really ever notice the difference.
I just wonder sometimes if I'm wasting my money when I do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just purchased a bottle of Howes Power Kleaner from Napa... 50 miles into my first tank ever, so far, nothing really noticeable. I'll give it a couple tanks and see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Go Packers
9,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo75423 View Post
Bet if you dumped some off road red in it you would.
Had a 7.3L psd that would run like a beast on it.

Where do you get it?

Off road red is non taxed diesel fuel, farm use. Hefty fines if caught.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo75423 View Post

Where do you get it?

Off road red is non taxed diesel fuel, farm use. Hefty fines if caught.
I am aware of this.
Got it a few times when running on fumes. Just get get by.
Don't need DPS dipping my tank

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Most additives are meant to keep your fuel system/injectors clean. Not to give you more power

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
186 Posts
There's no gain to doing this its all ulsd now only difference in off road fuel is red dye that take a few full tanks of on road diesel to get dye out. Saves a few bucks but not worth the fine. I use white bottle power service every tank during winter and Grey bottle in summer. Thinking about switching to Howes diesel treat though. Haven't noticed any difference in power or mileage. Only products I've ever noticed a difference with was standyne in my old 06 5.9 and a fuel system additive made by bg in my 08. I will say bg makes excellent stuff and I've seen difference with a few of there additives bit they are very $$$

·
Registered
247 Posts
There's no gain to doing this its all ulsd now only difference in off road fuel is red dye that take a few full tanks of on road diesel to get dye out. Saves a few bucks but not worth the fine. I use white bottle power service every tank during winter and Grey bottle in summer. Thinking about switching to Howes diesel treat though. Haven't noticed any difference in power or mileage. Only products I've ever noticed a difference with was standyne in my old 06 5.9 and a fuel system additive made by bg in my 08. I will say bg makes excellent stuff and I've seen difference with a few of there additives bit they are very $$$
I got it from a civil contractor that only runs loaders, graders, heavy earth moving equipment.
The must have had the high sulphur content fuel.
The truck ran great on it, it was starved for lubrication.

After that I found a Stanadyne dealer in Ft Worth off hwy 121 to give the lubricity back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have read that you don't need to run an additive in our trucks because they were designed to run on ULSD. However, Opti-Lube, the additive I run does a lot more than just provide extra lubricity, so I run it for a lil added protection/benefits. The truck would probably last just as long without it, but it cant hurt to run it, and its cheap.

Reactions: domark58

·
Registered
568 Posts
it obviously cant hurt to run a lubricity additive. as far as red diesel between green only difference id dye, there is no difference.

Reactions: 06 tan cummins

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use OptiLube XDP - it's suppose to be the best additive on the market for adding the lubricity back to the fuel. Don't really notice much of a power gain or fuel mileage but I use it at every fill up. Actually just bought a 5 gallon pail of the stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use OptiLube XDP - it's suppose to be the best additive on the market for adding the lubricity back to the fuel. Don't really notice much of a power gain or fuel mileage but I use it at every fill up. Actually just bought a 5 gallon pail of the stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Where do you find Optilube?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I run F-bomb and Hellfire currently in my Truck. Ill let you know the results as soon as I have them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.