Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the following question(s) within a thread, but wanted to create a new thread in order to get more direct responses to my comment(s):

I'm going to keep my truck stock until the warranty runs out, but I want to purchase a chip/programmer that will cover all my problems once I do the deletes. Which one works well with all the crap on, but will allow me to upgrade later? I don't want to buy another chip/programmer later!

Thanks,

Schmidty

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I asked the following question(s) within a thread, but wanted to create a new thread in order to get more direct responses to my comment(s):

I'm going to keep my truck stock until the warranty runs out, but I want to purchase a chip/programmer that will cover all my problems once I do the deletes. Which one works well with all the crap on, but will allow me to upgrade later? I don't want to buy another chip/programmer later!

Thanks,

Schmidty
How you want to do your deletes will largely dictate which tuner would be best for you. If you are going to go the route of the older way of doing it, i.e. ways that will cause the engine light to stay on, then I would go with a Juice w/ Attitude. If your goal is to have code free deletes, then I would go with the H&S XRT.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
Based on your future plans, I would go with the XRT. You can run it now and then once you do the deletes it will erase any and codes and lights.

James
RSD

·
Registered
640 Posts
Run with the XRT 60HP tune and stack with a pressure box, MP8 or Extreme Power Puck.
Should net you at least 120 HP and 220 Ft Lbs Tq. You can still run the Dpf and EGR.
Unplug the EGR is recomended to help cut down on Regens.
I am waiting until my warranty runs out before I do the DPF and EGR deletes.
XRT will turn off DPF Regens and EGR when you are ready and offers hot tunes!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
i'd listen to james and kevin,they know what there talking about:thumbsup:and good luck

·
Registered
640 Posts
Look for the Unplug yur EGR thread

Not to get off topic, but just wondering where did you get this information from? I'll start a new thread if need be...
There is more than ample testing here that shows this is a fact. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Run with the XRT 60HP tune and stack with a pressure box, MP8 or Extreme Power Puck.
Should net you at least 120 HP and 220 Ft Lbs Tq. You can still run the Dpf and EGR.
Unplug the EGR is recomended to help cut down on Regens.
I am waiting until my warranty runs out before I do the DPF and EGR deletes.
XRT will turn off DPF Regens and EGR when you are ready and offers hot tunes!
I am not meaning to be argumentative, but some of your information is incorrect.

The 60hp tune is a deleted tune, must be DPF NOX free.

The 50hp tune is the tune for stock exhaust on the XRT.

H&S does NOT recommend unplugging your EGR when running the 50hp tune. I have asked Casey about this directly. That does not mean it can not be done, but H&S does not recommend it, with the 50hp tune.

Stacking an MP-8 with the 50hp tune while your exhaust is stock, could lead to a lot of problems with clogged DPF. I can't remember anyone running this way, and depending on how hard you run it, that could lead to clogging problems.

IMHO, I would NOT do any stacking till you are deleted.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
770 Posts
There is more than ample testing here that shows this is a fact. :thumbsup:
It really depends on what regens you are talking about. It will probably cut down on DPF regens, because you'll get passive regen from having higher average EGT's. As for NOx catalyst, you should see those regens drastically go up, since the EGR manages combustion temperatures and when functioning properly reduces the formation of NOx to begin with.

·
Registered
640 Posts
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1453964
Yes, the 50 HP tune is the onr they recomend with stock emissions.
H&S wouldnt recomend unplugging the EGR with this tune while selling a code free system as you will get a code and you will get a check engine light. This is a soft code though and will not send truck into limp.
Now, if you don't do much highway driving then running the stack with a RP box most likely will result in DPF function issues. There are plenty of guys running stacks without DPF problems. You need to be aware of the system and provide the time required to Regen.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1454926
Nox Regens happen at much lower temps than DPF requires and as long as your driving habbits provide for these sytem functions you should not have problems.
If you are living in an area where idle your vehicle in traffic daily then dont even think about it. If you get on the highway for sustained runs weekly then this emissions system will function with the EGR UNPLUGGED. Oh yea, save fuel too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts