Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
It was stupid then, the same as it is stupid now.
If you talk to an old "motor T" guy in the military you'll find that the factory manuals told them to drain the old engine oil and dump it in the fuel tanks. Not a "recommendation" an "order".

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
Doesn't make it any smarter, and had nothing to do with lubricity. Of course, back then there were little to no additives in engine oil, not even detergents. Engines that went past 100,000 miles were a rarity. A 3.9 liter V8 gasoline engine (239c.i.) was a marvel at 130 HP. Do you want to go back there?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
It's part of the new going "green" agenda, we don't want plastic containers full of used motor oil in our landfills! lol

·
Registered
12,030 Posts
STICKY: This thread is for people who use, add, and believe in it's use as a benefit for there trucks. If you are a non believer or nonuser with negative comments you will be deleted.
It was stupid then, the same as it is stupid now.
How soon we forget.

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
How soon we forget.
I didn't forget. The premise of the whole thread "If you are a non believer or nonuser with negative comments you will be deleted." is stupid too. It is a misuse of moderator privilege to delete posts that give educated responses to the bologna that is offered.

·
Registered
12,030 Posts
It is a misuse of moderator privilege to delete posts that give educated responses to the bologna that is offered.
I don't think anyone has a problem with educated responses.
It's when stubborness and opinion sets in that it can become an issue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Gabby Johnson is right

Attachments

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
I don't think anyone has a problem with educated responses.
It's when stubborness and opinion sets in that it can become an issue.
I'll be more than happy to clarify what you perceive as opinion.

·
Registered
17,065 Posts

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
It's part of the new going "green" agenda, we don't want plastic containers full of used motor oil in our landfills! lol
Here in TX oil is recycled. I think they make water bottles out of it.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Here in TX oil is recycled. I think they make water bottles out of it.:wink2:
Pretty much everyone out here cuts WMO 50/50 with off-road diesel then uses it in a burner to heat their shop in the winter. Not many trees for firewood out here.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think the true tragedy uncovered in this thread is all the water cooled boat motor owners stuck out on the water without enough TCW3 thanks to the Cumminz mafia.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
More and more dirt bikes, and PWC, and boats are going to 4 stroke. There has even been talk of outlawing 2 strokes on some lakes, and racing venues.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
right - and then the damn Cumminz Mafia will have all of them pouring 2so down the gas tank anyway.

will the victims of the Cumminz Mafia ever get their #MeToo moment?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I don’t believe the additional lubricity of an additive would have much bearing, if any, on a Pee Pump.
The detergent benefits are a bonus, not a necessity.
Having said that, on purely fuel lubricated injection pumps, I’ve noticed certain additives do quiet down IP noise & valvetrain rattle, especially those that are advanced beyond the usual norm.
I’ve found higher cetane to be practically useless, except when one is running less than very lightly loaded in the winter.
Anti-gel and de-icers, however, are great insurance towards the occasional water ingressed local station storage tanks, and invaluable in a southern tank of diesel that needs to make its way up north come deep winter.

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
The whole point is educating new users. Whether or not they spend money on diesel additives is their choice, but I'm against them making that choice based on the myths and exaggerations of additive manufacturers and uneducated current users. This thread is about adding used (waste) motor oil to the fuel. I challenge anyone to list one thing that is smart about introducing the contaminates (silicon, sodium and potassium) and wear metals (iron, aluminum, copper, tin, lead, nickel, chromium, cadmium, silver and vanadium) found in WMO into the fuel system. Lets not forget the additive package of the motor oil out of the bottle, which could account for 40% of the volume (titanium, molybdenum, antimony, manganese, lithium, boron, magnesium, calcium, barium, phosphorus, and zinc). How many of those burn faster than diesel and which do not burn at all? The oil itself has a different flash point than diesel. Check the web for pictures of the carbon deposits found on the injectors of engine that have been burning WMO.

61 - 80 of 239 Posts