Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought 2 factory fog light switches for my 97 crewcab. I bought the bezel where for the factory location and swapped out the OD button for a second fog light switch.

Can anyone help with wiring with the factory switch? I would like to add amber 4" LED cube and a 40" LED light bar.

I am hoping I can find plug in pigtails for the back if the switches.

Chris

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
My wire harness behind the bumper has the connectors for factory lights, yours should have them also. Then it is just the insertion of a fuse in the appropriate slot.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
I don't believe there is a plug behind the switch in the dash. I wanted to do the same thing but couldn't find a plug in my 95 to use the oem switch

·
Premium Member
5,403 Posts
My 94 has No wires. My 95 Gas truck has the wires on the bumper, none behind the dash

·
Registered
364 Posts
I added two 17" light bars to the factory switch. Chances are you have the wiring and connectors under the bumper, but most trucks seem to have a dash harness without the factory connector for the switch. If you want it to look stock, you need to get inside the PDC and locate two wires for the fog light relays. One should be brown and white and the other is light blue. Tap into them and run them to the cab. The factory switch has two grounds and you need a dimmer switch sense wire. Brown/white goes to pin 1. Grounds go to pins 2 and 3. Dimmer sense goes to pin 5. Light blue goes to pin 6.

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PDC? I bought 2 factory switches on ebay so I can wire up fogs and a lightbar and have the interior look clean with the factory switches.

So if I am using a Rigid LED light bar as an example any ideas on how to wire that into the switch? I can get small adapters to plug them in, and I do want to have them tied into at least the parking lights for key power. I do not what them to turn off with the high beams. I am planning on just wiring them all myself.

With the factory switch having 2 grounds would the light's ground wire go to that plug and then the plug to ground or would I actually be grounding the switch twice? That seems odd both ways.

I just got all my parts to put a 4th gen bumper on the truck so I am really looking into the wiring now.

Chris

·
Registered
364 Posts
PDC? I bought 2 factory switches on ebay so I can wire up fogs and a lightbar and have the interior look clean with the factory switches.

So if I am using a Rigid LED light bar as an example any ideas on how to wire that into the switch? I can get small adapters to plug them in, and I do want to have them tied into at least the parking lights for key power. I do not what them to turn off with the high beams. I am planning on just wiring them all myself.

With the factory switch having 2 grounds would the light's ground wire go to that plug and then the plug to ground or would I actually be grounding the switch twice? That seems odd both ways.

I just got all my parts to put a 4th gen bumper on the truck so I am really looking into the wiring now.

Chris
You can tie both ground wires on the switch into any other ground behind the dash, or use an eyelet and the dash frame; it's personal preference. The light bar can also be done either way. On mine I used the ground wires in the factory connector behind the bumper.
PDC stands for power distribution center. It's the box under the hood with all your fuses and relays. There shouldn't be any wires going directly from the switch to the bar. The power and ground for the bar is in the factory connector behind the bumper. The only wires you really have to run are the two in the PDC I mentioned earlier that go to the switch. Tap into the dimmer switch from wherever; I used the O/D Off switch because it's right next to it in the dash. If you look in the service manual, Dodge actually wires trucks with factory fogs by tapping into the O/D switch too.

Reactions: Cumminpwr11
1 - 7 of 7 Posts