Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Adding DIY fuel and water separator kit

9K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  steve05ram360 
#1 · (Edited)
I got lucky and bought a 2005 Ram 2500 with the 5.9l HO that only had 9758 miles. I want to keep this truck in top shape and was considering the kits available from various sellers sich as Diesel fuel, vulcan and gdp. Read there are issues with the all aluminum bases used with these kits so thinking of going the DIY route using the WIX 24770 base. I will frame rail mount the fuel and WS filters and leave the stock filter on place and functional. Can I stay with the current fuel line size and just splice in to the existing? I plan on keeping the truck stock. Happy Thanksgiving!

#3 ·
Wow, nice find. The link the man in black posted is a nice kit.

Lots of good info in this thread for maintaining your new pickup.

#4 ·
Welcome seachunk!

Less than 10,000 miles on a 2005, sounds like you found a unicorn of the diesel truck world!
I went with the 03-12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit as well, easy install and yes you can splice into your existing fuel line. There are fuel lines that parallel each other on the frame rail a 3/8" supply and a 5/16" return make sure you tap into the 3/8" line it sets on top of the 5/16" return line. I have not changed my filter yet so not sure about the "galling" issue, I did use the kit supplied anti-seize.

Dennis

#5 ·
The Diesel Fuel Filter kit is the one I was considering but I came across a few threads on this forum that mentioned the galling issue with the all aluminum mounting base. Here is a link to one of them (scroll down to post #12 where the OP is mentioning the galling problem). Fuel filter upgrade kit with CAT fuel/water separator

That's why I am leaning towards a DIY kit.
For a base I am considering the Baldwin FB46185.

I plan to use it with the CAT 1R-0750 fuel filter and the Baldwin BF1212 water separator. I'll stay with the stock fuel lines and leave the stock filter intact and fully functional. I need to figure out the hardware and connectors that I'll need and confirm the base works with the filters.

#7 ·
I learned out about the galling issue and found out about this filter head that uses a stainless steel thread on adapter that will work with the aluminum threaded head that cat uses on their filters.

Another consideration would be to install a Parker/Racor fuel filter water separator unit. I am looking into a parker unit for my truck. Racor is the company now making the filters for mopar for the 4th and 5th gen trucks if I am not mistaken. Look up parker racor here on the site for more information.

#10 ·
No excess hours or miles on the truck. It was bought by the original owner for use on the beach loaded with a truck camper (Lance). Not used often and I would assume that most of the 9700 miles were made with the camper on the truck. Of that amount of miles, I would guess that less than 200 miles involved actual use on the beach in 4x4. It's like new inside and out. Truck was not used for past 4 years at all. Runs great though. Zero issues and looking to keep it that way.

#9 ·
I use the single filter Cat kit and have changed the filter 3x and haven't had any galling issues. IIRC, the kit uses a copper anit-sieze applied to the filter base threads that the filter threads onto. I use an identical product with my filter changes as well.

Reactions: Holyoak86
#11 ·
I am leaning towards the Western Diesel kit. I like the stainless steel bracket and stainless threaded adapter. The bracket will bolt on easy.

I came across a Mopar Kit "04.5 to 07 RAM 2500 3500 Cummins 5.9l Diesel Severe Duty Fuel Filter System Oem #68083853AB for $62.
It's suppose to be a clearance item ($350 was original price) . I think the issue is it only works with a Mopar brand filter and is very expensive. However, the kit includes the mount, frame mounting base, Mopar filter, electric harness. It heats the fuel and with a special wire harness that runs about $30, the WIF sensor functions. Anyone use or know much about this filter kit?

#14 ·
Aluminum and Stainless steel with metal to metal contact in marine environments (salty Beach sand, road salt) will develop galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals). The resulting corrosion can feel like galling and can deteriorate threads. There are thread compounds that will isolate the aluminum from the stainless, but stainless to stainless (with thread compounds) would be preferable.

#12 ·
I've installed the xdp. I looked at those kits as well but went with this kit instead. I know the factory housing is a real good water separator and I'm kind curious if this will be efficient enough as well. I may end up with a diy water separator mounted on the frame later on.

Attachments

#13 ·
@BC_03 Did you delete the factory housing with that kit?
The factory housing with a Baldwin PF7977 in it is a decent water separator.
If you buy fuel at a lot of different places you might want the extra water separator mounted on the frame.

#15 ·
@seachunk keep in mind after you install that kit, the filter in the original location wont need to be changed hardly ever... with a donaldson 3 micron as the only filter in the mix the OEM filter will not see much debris if any at all. The new filter you install on the frame may need a swap in the 5-10k mile range since it will be the only one doing the work. Some setups with the 3 micron under the intake horn (like mine) are filter after the OEM location and are able to extend out the service interval, mine I've found needs to be swapped @25k intervals. somewhere between that and 30k it starts to impede fuel flow, with that said, the donaldson I use gets swapped every 25k and now that I think about it, it will be going on the 25k interval to keep it simple.

congrats on the truck, Great find.

Reactions: tryNto
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.