Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey havent posted in a while and got a question. well... here goes. I have a 01 and am trying to improve my mpg as best as possible. My truck is lifted and is on 35in. nitto grappler tires.When i bought it my truck was stock cept. for the lift and tires and was only getting 12-13 mpg in the city.I have since put a 4" strait pipe, a edge EZ chip, and a AFE stage 2 and am currently getting like 16-17 city. So i have just ordered a CFM intake manafold and was wonering if I will notice a further increase in my Mpg? And if there is anything else i might do to improve my mileage im all ears. Thanks:peelout

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
More air flow usually leads to a bit better fuel efficiency, I've got one on order coming for hopefully Wednesday myself. How much lift are you running? The higher the truck, the worse the miles per gallon. Also if your running the mud terrains you could swap to all terrains, less rolling resistance. An upgraded exhaust manifold might help as well. Not sure what else to suggest. Other than that, keep your foot off the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Air intakes like the CFM , Banks, ATS all of them have very little effect on 2nd gen trucks. They do make a difference on 3rd gens because they have more restrictive air horns then the 2nd gen. You could save your money for something else. For the price of the CFM you could pick up some RV275 injectors from Midwest Fuel Injection. Pick up 40hp and 1-2mpg.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
I picked up one mainly for the pre-drilled/tapped holes cause I plan on running water/meth injection after the lift pump and fuel box are in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I gained about 1mpg when i started using 2 stroke oil

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Hey havent posted in a while and got a question. well... here goes. I have a 01 and am trying to improve my mpg as best as possible. My truck is lifted and is on 35in. nitto grappler tires.When i bought it my truck was stock cept. for the lift and tires and was only getting 12-13 mpg in the city.I have since put a 4" strait pipe, a edge EZ chip, and a AFE stage 2 and am currently getting like 16-17 city. So i have just ordered a CFM intake manafold and was wonering if I will notice a further increase in my Mpg? And if there is anything else i might do to improve my mileage im all ears. Thanks:peelout
That is your MPG killer... You increase the profile in the wind drag buy raising the truck. Then the tire themself are more rolling resistance.

Like myself I got a set of Cooper STT 265/75 R16 and a set of stock Michellin's 265/75 R16. The weight of the Michellins are about 20 puonds less than the Cooper STT but it gained me roughly 3 MPG... My next set of tires I'm going even lighter... 235/85 R16 which are still 31 Inch tires but narrower and about 5 pound lighter yet. Remember it take HP/TQ to roll those big tires. I've seen a Ford with 37" tires run the dyno and ran really low HP/TQ because of large tires but changed out to 31" and gain a bunch back...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.