Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Adding 3500 springs to a 2500

1820 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  dom42
Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to add the overload springs that are on the 3500's to a 2500? I have bags but would like to add the springs because I constantly have a ton of stuff (sometimes 2 tons) in the bed of my truck and the bags blown up to 60 or so psi really kill my ride quality.

If anyone knows what I would need for my '06, or better yet knows where I can get the parts please let me know.

Thanks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Why do you keep them blown up to 60psi? I only set mine at 35-40 when I hook my 5th wheel to mine. I thought about the math one day. If they are rated at 100psi max, and at max load they can support an additional 5,000lbs of weight. Then for every psi of air that is in the bags it puts an additional 50lbs of support to the rear springs. So at the minimum of 5psi in the bags you have 250lbs of extra support. So for 2000lbs in the bed you should only have to be at a maximum of 40psi in the bags to completely offset the weight that is in the bed. Anything more than that you are relying on your tires as much or more than your springs to absorb the bumps in the road.

I would try to just drop the pressure in the bags to around 30 or 35 and see if that puts you back on the softer side of the ride.

I have a 3500 and some days I have thought about taking y overload springs out of the rear since I have the airbags but then I realize how much I tow my 5th wheel and I keep them in.

Hope this helps. I have about 4500lbs of pin weight with my camper on and I set the bags between 35 and 40 unloaded. I don't know the pressure when it is loaded but if I feel it is still rough I will let some back out so that the suspension can work again instead of being on the hard airbags the whole time.

The only real difference in the 2500 and the 3500 is another set of overload springs. If you keep the bags aired up then you won't ever touch those springs so it probably won't make a difference. It makes the most difference with loads when you don't have airbags.

· Registered
9 Posts
don't have an accident with that much weight on your truck someone gets hurt you go to jail

· Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I have the truck loaded down I won't have to use the bags as much except when I'm towing. They have a bouncy effect that the overload springs don't have.

· Registered
126 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing too my 2500 and after talking with the parts dept, and at a price of 460.00/side for the leaf pack I quicking decided to go with the firestone bags and put a compressor on board. It has worked great for me and towing my fiver.

· Banned
232 Posts
I think the spring pads are welded on to the chassis aren't they?......Seems like a lot of work to me. Buying the parts then having to weld on the pads. I want the overloads on my 07 2500 but I'm not about to weld on my frame.

· Premium Member
570 Posts
The overload springs pads on my 98.5 2500 are bolted on. I think the overload springs came on it as part of the towing package. While the overload springs engaging are a little noisy compared to air bags, I use the gap between the end of the spring to the pad to judge the tongue weight of my trailers.

· Registered
61 Posts
i have the overload springs on mine and was looking this weekend at puting in air lift air bags. When i really got to looking at it the over loads have about a 3/4inch spacer and then the two leafs are about 1 and 1/2 inches. so that adds a little more than 2 inches. so will your airbag setup still work after you add the extra leafs in there? i'm not sure, just bringing up the point. Hopefully someone can answer my own question about if i can even put the airbags on my truck.

· Premium Member
680 Posts
The overload springs are a simple bolt on...however the strike perches are welded onto the frame from 2003 - Pres.

Firestone air bags work in place of where the bumpstop is,the so adding the overloads will not effect the air bags. For slightly lifted applications - Carli long travel air bags work great! They work with up to 11" of rear wheel travel. They also carry weght better than the Firestone's in my opinion, as I have used both!

Hope this helps...

· Registered
3,891 Posts
i thought that a 3500 also comes with a rear sway bar. rather then just the extra springs. hmmm......please correct me if im wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.