Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

19301 - 19320 of 19321 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend. We'll be heading back to the property for a few days of camping, relaxing, and working on the property.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Rhett how do you like it? I have mine sitting in a corner because all it does is rattle and shake and have a ton of play in the receiver.
So far, I like it. I'm dumping the loads just a few miles from my house, so I didn't do a lot of driving with it. I didn't hear any rattling, but then again, there's quite a bit of weight on it. Maybe once the trailer is unhooked I'll hear the rattle. The rattle drives me crazy, but I'm pretty good about taking the hitch off when I'm done towing. You further instilled the need for removal after hearing about your pins disappearing, lol.

There are a lot of pins in the B&W hitch, so I don't know if this will eliminate all the rattle that you speak of. I bought this anti-rattle device years ago and sold it with my Cherokee. It worked awesome!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Cody, you're getting twice the slop since you have the 2-1/2" receiver and have to use the sleeve, right?
I use a proper shank and remove the sleeve so no but yes if that’s makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So far, I like it. I'm dumping the loads just a few miles from my house, so I didn't do a lot of driving with it. I didn't hear any rattling, but then again, there's quite a bit of weight on it. Maybe once the trailer is unhooked I'll hear the rattle. The rattle drives me crazy, but I'm pretty good about taking the hitch off when I'm done towing. You further instilled the need for removal after hearing about your pins disappearing, lol.

There are a lot of pins in the B&W hitch, so I don't know if this will eliminate all the rattle that you speak of. I bought this anti-rattle device years ago and sold it with my Cherokee. It worked awesome!

I could see that working to some degree hmmm.
How would those threads hold up under heavy lateral stress?

My issue is for me is the 2-1/2” shank on my trucks past and present didn’t like the loose fit of the B&W in the receiver.

I switched to weight safe and am happy.
I usually take it out but it’s nice to have a buffer for those Albuquerque drivers if you get what I mean.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
I could see that working to some degree hmmm.
How would those threads hold up under heavy lateral stress?
It's just a long hitch pin. The nut pulls the hitch tightly against the receiver tube. The pin itself handles all the lateral stress like any other hitch pin would do. I bought mine probably 12 years ago, but there are many companies who are making them.

I switched to weight safe and am happy.
The Weigh Safe is awesome! I was planning to get one for the 3500. Those are super nice.

I usually take it out but it’s nice to have a buffer for those Albuquerque drivers if you get what I mean.
I totally know what you mean.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,757 Posts
Im just going to be honest here. I'm not reading any of this, and I'm just going to drink a bit more. Because why not

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Im just going to be honest here. I'm not reading any of this, and I'm just going to drink a bit more. Because why not
I'm glad you're kickin' off the weekend with some relaxation.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
I'm thinking about buying this locking fuel cap for the 2020.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It’s overkill Rhett just get the magnetic one and call it good. Besides If anyone is going to steal your fuel they will cut a hole in the tank 2 seconds after fighting the baffles.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
My issue is for me is the 2-1/2” shank on my trucks past and present didn’t like the loose fit of the B&W in the receiver.
Receivers have become larger (looser tolerances) and ball mounts smaller. Add to that the extra slop of an adapter, if used.
I used to weld a nut to the bottom of the receiver tube, towards the front, and use a short bolt as a "set screw". It kept the ball mount from banging around and served as theft protection. While it couldn't help much with lateral movement, that never seemed to be an issue.

When stuck with OE 2-1/2-inch receivers I was going to make my own adapter. Measured the 20 something ball and pintle mounts to find the largest. Then the plan was to weld up four pieces of flatstock to fit the largest mount perfectly.
Next would've been to machine the outside to a light press fit in the receiver and weld it in place. The latter to eliminate the shear issue with the pin, when using the OE adapter.

Never did make that adapter since it's so rare for me to use bumper pulls anyway.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Receivers have become larger (looser tolerances) and ball mounts smaller. Add to that the extra slop of an adapter, if used.
I used to weld a nut to the bottom of the receiver tube, towards the front, and use a short bolt as a "set screw". It kept the ball mount from banging around and served as theft protection. While it couldn't help much with lateral movement, that never seemed to be an issue.

When stuck with OE 2-1/2-inch receivers I was going to make my own adapter. Measured the 20 something ball and pintle mounts to find the largest. Then the plan was to weld up four pieces of flatstock to fit the largest mount perfectly.
Next would've been to machine the outside to a light press fit in the receiver and weld it in place. The latter to eliminate the shear issue with the pin, when using the OE adapter.

Never did make that adapter since it's so rare for me to use bumper pulls anyway.
Thanks explanation on what worked for you Jimmy
I’ll make a video if I can later.
Sounds like an involved process but makes sense. I found my weight safe with the OE hitch was about as snug as I could get it without worry. My duramax I put a Curt commercial receiver on and loved it.
I don’t use a tag trailer enough to worry worry about the OE receiver but if I get rear ended again I will replace with another curt.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I don’t use a tag trailer enough to worry worry about the OE receiver but if I get rear ended again I will replace with another curt.
Probably not a bad idea since the OE ones seem to have a tendency to twist and get tweaked in some circumstances.

My 3500 didn't come with a receiver, I wanted something back there, and the only one I could find that didn't require drilling was the TorkLift 30K unit.
It's overkill, but I really like it. The one thing I wish was different is that it has a 2-1/2" tube on top of the 2-incher.
I understand why they made it that way, but would've preferred two 2-inchers.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Probably not a bad idea since the OE ones seem to have a tendency to twist and get tweaked in some circumstances.

My 3500 didn't come with a receiver, I wanted something back there, and the only one I could find that didn't require drilling was the TorkLift 30K unit.
It's overkill, but I really like it. The one thing I wish was different is that it has a 2-1/2" tube on top of the 2-incher.
I understand why they made it that way, but would've preferred two 2-inchers.
The curt commercial I had was rated to 25,000# never worried about it since the most I ever connected to it was 10k#
2-1/2” isn’t even the big dog anymore. I read somewhere Ford went to a 3” shank? Or was it a 3” gooseneck ball now? Never the less more than I’ll use.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I read somewhere Ford went to a 3” shank? Or was it a 3” gooseneck ball now? Never the less more than I’ll use.
No kidding. If it requires a 3" shank or gooseneck ball, it shouldn't be towed by a pickup.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,757 Posts
It's all about measuring certain things. The more someone says theirs is so big the more you know it isn't

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Did some RV stuff today
Cleaned the Cummins too

Man o man I love this truck. Not the best angle for a shot but keeping it clean is enjoyable.

Found an E450 wagon Mercedes today. Certified with 2900 miles and 19,000.00 off. Black on black and a 2019. The nice changes were made in the 2020s but that’s a good deal. If it was white on black then I’d buy it today. Anyway. That is all.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
That’s kick a$$ man we’ll done and congrats. Raise em high bud.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Cleaned the Cummins too
Man o man I love this truck. Not the best angle for a shot but keeping it clean is enjoyable.
Last week we had a neighbor who's into detailing come over and cleanse a few vehicles. The 3500 being one of them.

It was filthy after a Colorado trip and needed it badly. He asked about the 1500, and I told him "Meh, it looks fine".
Which it did, despite never having been washed (it's a '14).

Well, seeing the washed 3500 next to the 1500 I couldn't help but notice that they were a very different shade of white.
So both of them got their first bath ever. The 1500 also ended up being as white as it used to be.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Well fellers I went back to being an Amsoil dealer. $50 for the year and I figure I’ll buy enough to justify it between the trucks lawn equipment and family vehicles.

Forgot I had certifications in the stuff lol.

I like shell rotella but it looks like after about 400 hours of operation the viscosity drops anywhere from 15-20%
Sorry that’s a lot especially for the stop and go demands of urban driving. By comparison Amsoil (according to oil depot) dropped 5-6%

No moderators in not trying to be a forum dealer so before I get the ban hammer it’s for me and my friends and family

Anyway still expensive but not terribly more.

Looks like they went to a high grit coating on their oil filters

19301 - 19320 of 19321 Posts