19281 - 19300 of 19321 Posts

·
Registered
12,023 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,757 Posts
One of my favorite marks about engineers

When an engineer needs to cut something, they will measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a sharpie, and cut it with a chainsaw

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
His anecdotal experiences and my anecdotal experiences don't make fact.
I'm glad that my missing interior parts, misaligned door, bad paint, crooked exhaust tips, etc. aren't facts.
Now, when someone else points these things out, I'll just tell them that those are merely anecdotal issues.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
I thinks it's more of an engineering problem than QC
Yes, and I was going to bring that conversation to the table. My FCA friend said that even though RAM/Jeep/Dodge has changed their image dramatically over the last decade, they are still behind in some things. When he talks about quality control, he's also talking about design issues and poor engineering. Those are the things that FIAT has promised they would address.

He said FCA monitors how many times a vehicle is brought in for repairs and the type of repairs. He said recalls and other repairs are factored into the cost of the vehicle, but warranty work can really hurt profits if the amount of repairs exceeds what is expected for normal warranty work. Some make and models are worse than others. For example, window regulators in certain models were very problematic. So yes, the problem isn't necessarily installation issues, the problem is design/materials used.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Yes, and I was going to bring that conversation to the table. My FCA friend said...
Speaking of bringing to the table. Just out of curiosity, how many FCA engineers and other officials have you had dinner with, been on a trail ride with, or have come to your house to chat a bit?

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Not my fault that FCA is trying to kiss up to the UAW. Besides, they'll see and hear what they want in that respect.
Gotta defend the plan to move the production to the USA somehow.
The last I heard, the Saltillo plant wasn't shutting down. They are just moving the Ram HD to the Warren Plant in Michigan. A new vehicle will be build in the Saltillo plant; however, I was told that government imposed tariffs could delay a things.

That Warren plant is going to be a huge undertaking, so that's why RAM was planning to build the 4.5 and 5th gen HD trucks side-by-side until Warren was at full capacity. But with a weakening economy, I think there will be a lot of changes/delays.

·
5,757 Posts
So it's the engineers fault that the profit keepers flying the desks decided to go with the lowest bid to build a product to be placed into the vehicle and that low price product ends up failing?

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
One of my favorite marks about engineers

When an engineer needs to cut something, they will measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a sharpie, and cut it with a chainsaw
A friend of mine owned a custom fabrication shop that made Jeep bumpers, rock rails, skid plates, etc. At one point, he was approached by the Mopar Skunkwerks division to make some parts for their concept vehicles. He said working with the engineers was not a fun experience. He would always say, "What works on paper doesn't work on the trail". He always felt that engineers relied too heavily on their toextbook education rather than real-world experience.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
The last I heard, the Saltillo plant wasn't shutting down. They are just moving the Ram HD to the Warren Plant in Michigan.
I don't recall anyone mentioning that Saltillo would shut down. Not here, not anywhere.
Moving production of a vehicle from one plant to another does not equal shutting one down.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
He always felt that engineers relied too heavily on their toextbook education rather than real-world experience.
Wow, what an appropriate quote for this thread!!
Just change engineer to teacher and textbook to YouTube and it'd be perfect.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
I'm glad that my missing interior parts, misaligned door, bad paint, crooked exhaust tips, etc. aren't facts.
Now, when someone else points these things out, I'll just tell them that those are merely anecdotal issues.
That's because you want to keep moving the goal posts to win an argument. Bad paint, misaligned doors, and crooked exhaust tips is your reality. Thankfully, my Jeeps and Ram 1500 haven't had those issues. My only argument is there's been no research that proves your theory.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
So it's the engineers fault that the profit keepers flying the desks decided to go with the lowest bid to build a product to be placed into the vehicle and that low price product ends up failing?
As with any auto manufacturer, I'm sure the fault falls on the laps of many people. The shareholders rely heavily on corporate to avoid costly mistakes and continue to build the brand. FIAT has to convince the shareholders they are going to be the leaders in the industry.

·
5,757 Posts
engineers relied too heavily on their toextbook education rather than real-world experience.
That is incredibly true for anyone working with engineers. As someone that has dealt with them in multiple fields, in over 30 states, Some people have let what others told them go to far into their head, and forget that hands on experience can be more important then what a book said that was written 30 years ago, probably by the guy tell you to buy the book for his class

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Working on the BIG 3 through the years the difference in repairs between the FMC and GM are about the same but when it comes to FCA I about lose my mind. I believe some of their engineers are living on a whole different world. Wheel/hub assemblies for instance. Why would you make the tolerances so tight that even shops with the "right" tools have to cut it out of the spindle? Wiring in them is a complete joke to work on. The push button start on the earlier models id a PITA & I could keep going. FMC and GM have their quirks about some things as well but FCA takes the trophy on this rant.
Maybe so

Paying for all three I’ll tell you my worst memories are with an FMC product. More time at the dealer than in my driveway for both of the ones I owned.

No thank you x10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Interestingly enough, according to KBB the 1500 gets 4.1 stars compared to the 2500's 4.6.
Looks like the people at KBB need to do more research. All they have to go by is lots of anecdotal numbers from the readership.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
That is incredibly true for anyone working with engineers. As someone that has dealt with them in multiple fields, in over 30 states, Some people have let what others told them go to far into their head, and forget that hands on experience can be more important then what a book said that was written 30 years ago, probably by the guy tell you to buy the book for his class
This made me think of this quote:

"By preventing a free market in education, a handful of social engineers – backed by the industries that profit from compulsory schooling: teacher colleges, textbook publishers, materials suppliers, et al. – has ensured that most of our children will not have an education, even though they may be thoroughly schooled." -John Taylor Gatto (New York City Teacher of the Year on three occasions)

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
Not a big load today, but I managed to get two areas that were softened. The ground turned into concrete, so I sprayed water on two patches twice per day for two days before taking the shovel to it. That worked really well. I'll repeat this process again next week.

This was my first time to use the B&W hitch. It worked out really well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Rhett how do you like it? I have mine sitting in a corner because all it does is rattle and shake and have a ton of play in the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Cody, you're getting twice the slop since you have the 2-1/2" receiver and have to use the sleeve, right?

19281 - 19300 of 19321 Posts