Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

22721 - 22740 of 22921 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
The difference is I don't see any of those "professional athletes " protesting and kneeing during the anthem.
Yup, different cultures with different values.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
We have enough room in the budget to buy one or the other, but not both. The cargo trailer is something we can use, especially once the garage gets built. There's 10 miles of gravel road between the highway and property, so we need the trailer to keep things clean during transport.

A shipping container is a cheap storage solution. We may eventually get one for temporary storage while the house gets built, but we'll cross that road when the time comes.

I think we'll eventually take out a second mortgage or a HELOC on our home. I said I didn't want to do that, but I'm seeing that is probably our best option if we want to expedite the building process.
So you want to build a home, but instead are buying a second ecodisel to park in the driveway? And are going to pull a second mortgage out on your home? If or should I say when, everything sh!ts the best and I’d guess interest rates will go up, what are you going to do? Everything you “own” is on payment?

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Maxing out your credit, it's the American way. The neighbors can't tell if things are paid off or not.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
So you want to build a home, but instead are buying a second ecodisel to park in the driveway? And are going to pull a second mortgage out on your home? If or should I say when, everything sh!ts the best and I’d guess interest rates will go up, what are you going to do?
We'll probably pull a second mortgage or HELOC to build a $75K garage on a property that is currently valued at $84,000 with the well and septic. We currently owe $12,818 on that said property.

You mentioned interest rates. This would be a good time to refinance and take out a second mortgage or HELOC. A friend of mine just refinanced his house at 2.6% interest. I can't imagine interest rates going up anytime in the next 12 months, do you?

Everything you “own” is on payment?
We have four payments and those 4 payments total less than 1/2 of our monthly take home pay.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
We'll probably pull a second mortgage or HELOC to build a $75K garage on a property that is currently valued at $84,000 with the well and septic. We currently owe $12,818 on that said property.

You mentioned interest rates. This would be a good time to refinance and take out a second mortgage or HELOC. A friend of mine just refinanced his house at 2.6% interest. I can't imagine interest rates going up anytime in the next 12 months, do you?

We have four payments and those 4 payments total less than 1/2 of our monthly take home pay.
And if one looses a job? How do you know interest rates won’t rise? Have you looked outside lately? The value of the property means absolutely nothing is sh!t turns south. Your fooling yourself if you don’t think something bad is coming.

Is 2.6% goes to 12 or higher. Then what?

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Instead of having a 75K garage built, have them make one that's a decent size.
They really can't be too large, and it'll cost whatever it ends up costing. From the sounds of it, a fair amount of space will be taken up by the parked 1500 anyway.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,744 Posts
what are you hauling back and forth up there, that you don't want to get dirty?

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Maxing out your credit, it's the American way. The neighbors can't tell if things are paid off or not.
Living paycheck to paycheck is the American way. Most Americans have very little room in their budget for emergencies or large house repairs. Below, I will post how much money most Americans have in their savings account:

Age 34 and younger
  • Singles with children: $1,350
  • Singles with no children: $2,729
  • Couples with children: $3,682
  • Couples with no children: $4,727
Ages 35 to 44
  • Singles with children: $2,422
  • Singles with no children: $3,693
  • Couples with children: $10,399
  • Couples with no children: $5,306
Ages 45 to 54
  • Singles with children: $4,163
  • Singles with no children: $5,763
  • Couples with children: $15,589
  • Couples with no children: $11,483
Ages 55 to 64
  • Singles with children: $6,911
  • Singles with no children: $6,786
  • Couples with children: $17,587
  • Couples with no children: $15,722
Ages 65 to 74
  • Singles with children: $6,652
  • Singles with no children: $7,292
  • Couples with children: $13,164
  • Couples with no children: $15,297
Age 75 or older
  • Singles with children: $6,909
  • Singles with no children: $9,981
  • Couples with children: $8,967
  • Couples with no children: $16,025

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Living paycheck to paycheck is the American way. Most Americans have very little room in their budget for emergencies or large house repairs. Below, I will post how much money most Americans have in their savings account:

Age 34 and younger
  • Singles with children: $1,350
  • Singles with no children: $2,729
  • Couples with children: $3,682
  • Couples with no children: $4,727
Ages 35 to 44
  • Singles with children: $2,422
  • Singles with no children: $3,693
  • Couples with children: $10,399
  • Couples with no children: $5,306
Ages 45 to 54
  • Singles with children: $4,163
  • Singles with no children: $5,763
  • Couples with children: $15,589
  • Couples with no children: $11,483
Ages 55 to 64
  • Singles with children: $6,911
  • Singles with no children: $6,786
  • Couples with children: $17,587
  • Couples with no children: $15,722
Ages 65 to 74
  • Singles with children: $6,652
  • Singles with no children: $7,292
  • Couples with children: $13,164
  • Couples with no children: $15,297
Age 75 or older
  • Singles with children: $6,909
  • Singles with no children: $9,981
  • Couples with children: $8,967
  • Couples with no children: $16,025
Me: Hey my check engine light is on.

Mechanic: for how long?

Me: 6 months

Mechanic: everything’s fine then. Call me when it isn’t running right.

What does your numbers actually mean? Lots of people don’t put money into a savings account.

If frank jumped off a bridge, would you too?

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
I had one payment that was 2/1 of my income (yes, twice) but I worked and refinanced my way out of that one.
Then, when I could afford (pay for) things, I started buying them.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
And if one looses a job?
The likelihood of losing a job would be very slim. But if it happened, it would be extremely easy to get another job in the same area making as much, if not more, than what we are currently making. In my area of work, they are giving people a $7,000 dollar sign-on bonus just to fill the job. Even in this current COVID-19 mess, I was given a pay raise this year in addition to a $5,000 stipend. I got an email today asking if I would would be interested in more work at an additional $40 an hour on top of my salary.

How do you know interest rates won’t rise?
The federal reserve said they have no plans to raise interest rates anytime soon.

Have you looked outside lately? The value of the property means absolutely nothing is sh!t turns south. Your fooling yourself if you don’t think something bad is coming.
I'm very much in tune with what's going on with the economy. Why do you think I bought precious metals and made serious money in a short period of time?

Is 2.6% goes to 12 or higher. Then what?
That's why you get the loan locked in at 2.6%!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The likelihood of losing a job would be very slim. But if it happened, it would be extremely easy to get another job in the same area making as much, if not more, than what we are currently making. In my area of work, they are giving people a $7,000 dollar sign-on bonus just to fill the job. Even in this current COVID-19 mess, I was given a pay raise this year in addition to a $5,000 stipend. I got an email today asking if I would would be interested in more work at an additional $40 an hour on top of my salary.

The federal reserve said they have no plans to raise interest rates anytime soon.

I'm very much in tune with what's going on with the economy. Why do you think I bought precious metals and made serious money in a short period of time?

That's why you get the loan locked in at 2.6%!
Well at least if your gonna dig yourself a hole, your comfortable in it.

For someone with a lot of money, why do you have to borrow money to build a shed or buy a truck? I don’t see how borrowing is a good financial decision.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Instead of having a 75K garage built, have them make one that's a decent size.
They really can't be too large, and it'll cost whatever it ends up costing. From the sounds of it, a fair amount of space will be taken up by the parked 1500 anyway.
I think you're conflating the garage for the shop. The $75K will be the garage. The shop will come later after we build the house.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
75 grand for a garage?
Aburdett beat me to it. But I suppose that a "garage" needs to cost more than a mere "shop".
I really screwed up and keep calling my shop a garage.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Well at least if your gonna dig yourself a hole, your comfortable in it.
You have do something with your money. I have found that real-estate is a good place to put it.

For someone with a lot of money, why do you have to borrow money to build a shed or buy a truck? I don’t see how borrowing is a good financial decision.
First, I never said I had a lot of money. Second, I don't see the benefit of paying cash for a truck when I can invest my money. A vehicle is not an investment and not a good place to put a lot of money, especially when auto loans are now around 2.7%.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,744 Posts
well, sense copying and pasting things is cool, technically i suppose a shop can be a garage, but a garage can not be a shop, as a garage is generally used for storage related tasks, for frequently used items, yet a shop is used to work in and has the potential to store things as well thus being able to be both

Shop as a noun:
A large garage where vehicle mechanics work.
Shop as a noun:
A place where things are manufactured or crafted; a workshop.

vs

Garage as a noun:
A building (or section of a building) used to store a car or cars, tools and other miscellaneous items.

Also, fun fact, brits are weird
Shop as a verb (transitive, slang, chiefly, UK):

To report the criminal activities or whereabouts of someone to an authority.

Examples:
"He shopped his mates in to the police."

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
75 grand for a garage?
75K is my budget. It will make more sense once you see the finished plans. I haven't shown you the house plans, have I? I will post those below.

22721 - 22740 of 22921 Posts