Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the banks CAI with super scoop on my truck and actually got worse mileage. My driving is always the same in the winter. Mixed city & highway. Always the speed limit. Only getting 15-16mpg. And does having a bug deflector & rain guards really affect mileage? I'm sure its minimal but just wondering others thoughts.

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
your right in the ball park for milage. im only getting 14

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm only getting 14-16 mpg. 75% of my driving in town. Depending on how cold it is in the morning I will let it warm up for at least 15 minutes or more. That will kill you mpgs in the winter.

·
Premium Member
5,738 Posts
I'm only getting 14-16 mpg. 75% of my driving in town. Depending on how cold it is in the morning I will let it warm up for at least 15 minutes or more. That will kill you mpgs in the winter.
Last tank I got 17.4 (65/35 highway), the winter fuel isn't helping anyone and when I have to plow my overall mpg will drop to 13-14. Idling in the morning isn't doing you any MPG favors either. 15 mins is a long time to idle up IMHO. I give mine about 5 mins max and even then it is only when it is 20* or under. Anything above that the truck has about how long it takes to bucket my seatbelt to warm up then I am just light on the throttle until the coolant gauge starts to move.

3rd gens seem to be total hit or miss with fuel economy, some are great (usually 03-04 trucks), others not so good. These things are kinda piggy in the city. Totally stock tune 16 or mpg combined seems about right. My smarty jr helps a lot!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Last tank I got 17.4 (65/35 highway), the winter fuel isn't helping anyone and when I have to plow my overall mpg will drop to 13-14. Idling in the morning isn't doing you any MPG favors either. 15 mins is a long time to idle up IMHO. I give mine about 5 mins max and even then it is only when it is 20* or under. Anything above that the truck has about how long it takes to bucket my seatbelt to warm up then I am just light on the throttle until the coolant gauge starts to move.

3rd gens seem to be total hit or miss with fuel economy, some are great (usually 03-04 trucks), others not so good. These things are kinda piggy in the city. Totally stock tune 16 or mpg combined seems about right. My smarty jr helps a lot!
I will do that now and see what my mpgs are if I warm it up for 5 mins instead of 15, if the temp is below 20*.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
I will do that now and see what my mpgs are if I warm it up for 5 mins instead of 15, if the temp is below 20*.
You sure you have TNT-R the 4k tune? You could also try going back to revo for the winter since TNT doesnt allow as much timing advance as revo does, with the advanced timing it would net the better MPGs which could counteract the loss of mpgs due to winter diesel and extended idling times.

But i get the same 14-16 with TNT 8 in the winter, letting it warm up for 10-15mins. I just deal with the lower economy bc driving around with a smaller tune isnt as fun.

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
calebz400 i like the z in you avatar! :thumbsup:

Reactions: CalebZ400
1 - 7 of 7 Posts