Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have jsut purchased a new 2008 2500 cummins 4x4 quad cab and love the truck. It drives well and tows my big offshore fishing boats like a champ. The only gripe I have is that it takes a long time for the AC to cool down.

Today when I got in the truck in the afternoon (it was in the 80s and had been in the sun) it took exactly 10 minutes before the ac even started to cool at all. Even after this it still took five or so minutes before it was fully cooled down to regular AC temp.

Is this normal for this truck? This is my first diesel truck but my previous gassers would start cooling immideately and be fully rolling after 5 minutes max.

·
Registered
24 Posts
you have the QC. my mega takes even longer. dealer said "within specs"

·
Registered
265 Posts
06 mega ....same problem........

don't you love florida???

my crew cab gm truck would freeze meat, but I will still take my cummins over it ! just start the truck up a few minutes early before you take off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
same problem with my 08 2500. my 03 1500 would freeze you out in no time.

J-Mo

·
Registered
118 Posts
hmmmmm...whats goning on here....my 08 quad is a little slow compared to other vehicles I have driven, but the cab is much bigger..Also the air from the vents dosent seen to be freezing cold like my chevys and toyotas..Are they using a different refridgerant.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I live in South FL and my system will freeze you out also. You must have lemons.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have jsut purchased a new 2008 2500 cummins 4x4 quad cab and love the truck. It drives well and tows my big offshore fishing boats like a champ. The only gripe I have is that it takes a long time for the AC to cool down.

Today when I got in the truck in the afternoon (it was in the 80s and had been in the sun) it took exactly 10 minutes before the ac even started to cool at all. Even after this it still took five or so minutes before it was fully cooled down to regular AC temp.:thumbsup:hyper:

Is this normal for this truck? This is my first diesel truck but my previous gassers would start cooling immideately and be fully rolling after 5 minutes max.
when you first get in to yur truck and it is hot alot of people put it on max a/c right away and it does do not cool right away.turn the fan on high and the a/c with the windows rolled down for about a minute to blast out all of the hot air. roll the windows up and prolly in a minute or two turn it over to max a/c where it shows recirculation.lot of people do not know that recirculates the cold air inside the cab.you should be able to hang meat in there in prolly 5 minutes UNLESS the refrigerant as leaked out!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
mine did the same thing, after the repair the tech told me that 50% of trucks on their lot come with the freon under charged. he charged mine and now it works great. he added a dye so he could spot a leak just in case it leaked down again. no problems since recharging system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This morning I tried a little experiment and turned the car on, put the windows down and the AC on max and left it running in my driveway for 5 minutes. I then went for a five minute drive around the block and it never cooled down!!! Not even a bit, just warm air. I guess the dealer is getting a call from me ASAP.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If nothing else and your bored......start your truck and let it run for 5-10 mins with the A/C on full blast, after the 5-10 mins if you can get your hand down there SAFELY feel the two lines at the A/C compressor one should feel cool and one should feel HOT if your system is working properly. If they both are about the same temp (ambient temp) then you're system is undercharged or the compressor isnt working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, now the AC is not working at all. I drove around today for about an hour and it never even cooled down a bit, just hot hot air coming out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts