Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ʇsɐısnɥʇuƎ suı&
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys got a question about my AC. the clutch engages but it deosnt blow any cold air. it has a charge but still it wont blow any cold air? anyone had this problem. my dad thinks the system needs to be emptied then refilled again. what do you guys think. anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
whats your PSI reading?? are you low on R134a?? the low side should read about 55PSI on a 95 degree day.

you might have to do a Vac and refil

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
subscribed mine does the same thing I just cleaned out my fan blower too and holy crap was there a lot of junk in there it looked like a birds nest I suggest everyone do that in their truck if they havent already. Now I just need cold air.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Like the guys above have already said, you will need to stick a gauge on the system to see what the pressures are. If your pump is indeed engaged and driving, then you should be cold. Most of the time, the pump won't actually engage if the pressures drop low enough to not cool.

You can get a cheapy gauge (and a charge of freon) from most any auto parts place for under $40.

If the charge is correct enough to cycle the pump, then the problem could be the orfice, worn out, plugged up, etc. The orfice is a smallish tube that resides within the tube connection going to the evaporator. It is a standard replacement part that most people don't think about. The system does need to be evacuated and re-charged to replace the orfice tube, as you have to open a line for access. Cost is minimal (under $10) save for what it takes to re-charge the system.

One further note, a system cannot be charged unless it is completely evacuated by pulling a vacuum. Putting together an A/C system, then just trying to charge it will not work. The freon cannot displace the air in the system. You must evacuate via vacuum pump of some type, then add in the required amount of new oil, and then the freon.

·
ʇsɐısnɥʇuƎ suı&
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the guage was reading the correct psi at the temperature at the time but i forget what it was. the clutch engages and spins but it comes on and off . i just dont want to spend 150 bucks to have it vaccumed and re filled to only find out its till not working.

·
Registered
629 Posts
the guage was reading the correct psi at the temperature at the time but i forget what it was. the clutch engages and spins but it comes on and off . i just dont want to spend 150 bucks to have it vaccumed and re filled to only find out its till not working.
There are really only two parts that either work or do not work on an AC system. The compressor and the orfice tube. Of course, you clould also have a collapsed line, low freon, high freon, a bad limit or temprature switch, or even a heater box door not working, but if your pump is running, and you have a pressurized system with the proper levels of freon on board and you are not cooling then it is eithe the orfice tube, the compressor not running long enough (could be freon or a switch) or a collapsed or crud-filled line (and I'm fairly sure that a bad line would show up in really high pressures).

Here is a decent web site that goes down the list of checks, with charts:
Troubleshoot Automotive Air Conditioning Problems

Reactions: Hit.It.

·
Registered
2 Posts
03 dodge air works for awhile and then getshot. Turn off air for afew seconds and then it will work again for afew more minutes.

·
Registered
629 Posts
03 dodge air works for awhile and then getshot. Turn off air for afew seconds and then it will work again for afew more minutes.
Get gauges, test pressures. Then you can start to diagnose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
air condioning problems

Checked freon levels and they are good. high side is right on the money. Went to dodge today to get a orphus tube/fiter and it they said it didn't have one it had accumalater.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
jako, fill it out your sig so we know what kind of truck you have.

The dealer was have way right.
it does an ACcumalater/drier AND a Orphus tube.

replace both to get better preformance from your ac system.
some years came with the orphus tube inside the ac line thats built into the raditor.
others come in a regulaer ac line. you can tell by following your ac line and once it has a grove and gets a little bigger. thats were the orphus tube is. its usually at the end of the line so you can get it out with a needle nose. you can buy the orphus tube from oriellys. cause i just did not even a month ago.

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Similiar Problem

I'm having a similiar problem. I used the do it yourself gauge and put in some r134a into my a/c system.

It's still not working. When I install the gauge it will go between 35 and 65 psi with the compressor engaged.

Any ideas???ck

Fiddleba

1 - 13 of 13 Posts