Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I charged my ac with two cans of coolant last year and it bled off after two days this year I charged it three days ago and it seems Alittle weaker... I have a pic of something that leaked when i charged it and now its slowly leaking. It's located left of the turbo on the fender..

Sent from my HTC Hero S using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
That's a front diff vent that is puking oil on the fender. AC if it leak is a gas so typically it doesn't leave anything behind. If you got UV dye in the system it might leave a bit of dye that you can see with yellow glasses and UV light.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm that's weird. Wonder why it was pukin out of there... Ok awesome thanks

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Have a shop that can do a sniffer test to find the leak look at it. The die is good but depending on where it is they may not find it. I went to 3 shops before my leak was located - the compressor shaft!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The die is a cheap way to find it. After charging the low side I take a rag with brake clean on it and clean around the port. There's always a little bit of pressure When you take the quick connect off and it will spread the die around making it look like that's where the die is coming from. Run it till it's low again and check with a uv light. If you can't see anything on the outside take the blower motor out. Then take a mirror and the uv light and shine back towards the center of the dash at the evaporator. Common place for them to leak. If you can't find it, like Scott said your gonna need a sniffer to check the compressor. Most of the time when it's a compressor they only leak when it's running. They will leak just the gas. The die will leak out with the oil.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Insted of a sniffer, you can also mix up some Dawn, water, and glycerin. The Dawn makes lots of bubbles. The glycerin keeps the bubbles from popping for a long time.
Then dab or squirt it in the areas of suspect to check for leaks.
A sniffer can be hard to use in a tight area. Sometimes giving a false tone.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Hmm that's weird. Wonder why it was pukin out of there... Ok awesome thanks

I was in the process of pulling the evaporator for replacement and had just a PUFF of pressure left and it spit the bit of oil when the line separated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts