Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's obvious my air conditioner has a leak somewhere. Other than that everything works fine when its charged.

I've taken it to 3 shops and they all wanna take the the dash out and check for an obstruction in the ducting because its blowing hot air on the passenger side. I ask them why would I put $20 worth of R-134a to have them look at it when its blowing cold???? When you could possibly break open the system to maybe fix it. and I explain this 2 or 3 times that It only does this when its low on a charge and when properly filled it will blow evenly cold on both sides; 38 degrees when its 102 outside. The compressor cycles on and off like it should. There is a leak and I can't find it, nether could they. They, being A firestone center, stealership, and a local shop.

I have used the R-134a with the yellow dye and/or used leak sealer almost eveytime I filled it up. I have visually checked all the ac lines going to and from the compressor, to the condenser to the dryer with a black light and in the cab I cant find it. It will hold a charge for 3 weeks until the compressor will not cycle on anymore. The first week will be nice and cold but I notice the passenger is not as cold during second week by end of the second week its blowing hot air on the passenger side and the drivers side is still cold. By the end of the third week the knob is generally in the off position.

This truck has been doing this for around 4 years now. I usually only filled it when I had the wife and babies in there with me which is rarely but buying this refridgerant all the dang time is getting expensive.

When and if i get the time I am planning on taking the AC system completely apart and do the rebuild on it.
I've owned this truck from 70K now it has 133K on it. The last 30k it has been like this.
Does anyone have any ideas? before I shell out some ben franklins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took out the blower and resistor. At first I didnt see anything and the evaporator looked pretty good. So i took a waterhose rinsed it out a couple times stuck the uv light in there and saw a faint line of dye along edge of the evaporator next to the fire wall. Could be it supposedly. Looks like i got a good days job replacing it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do believe this is the leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the help. Problem is I'm leaving next week for a little trip for around 9 months. Guess ill fix it next year when I get back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.