Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's obvious my air conditioner has a leak somewhere. Other than that everything works fine when its charged.

I've taken it to 3 shops and they all wanna take the the dash out and check for an obstruction in the ducting because its blowing hot air on the passenger side. I ask them why would I put $20 worth of R-134a to have them look at it when its blowing cold???? When you could possibly break open the system to maybe fix it. and I explain this 2 or 3 times that It only does this when its low on a charge and when properly filled it will blow evenly cold on both sides; 38 degrees when its 102 outside. The compressor cycles on and off like it should. There is a leak and I can't find it, nether could they. They, being A firestone center, stealership, and a local shop.

I have used the R-134a with the yellow dye and/or used leak sealer almost eveytime I filled it up. I have visually checked all the ac lines going to and from the compressor, to the condenser to the dryer with a black light and in the cab I cant find it. It will hold a charge for 3 weeks until the compressor will not cycle on anymore. The first week will be nice and cold but I notice the passenger is not as cold during second week by end of the second week its blowing hot air on the passenger side and the drivers side is still cold. By the end of the third week the knob is generally in the off position.

This truck has been doing this for around 4 years now. I usually only filled it when I had the wife and babies in there with me which is rarely but buying this refridgerant all the dang time is getting expensive.

When and if i get the time I am planning on taking the AC system completely apart and do the rebuild on it.
I've owned this truck from 70K now it has 133K on it. The last 30k it has been like this.
Does anyone have any ideas? before I shell out some ben franklins.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I had the same issues when my evaporator went out, couldnt find a leak anywhere. Since you already have the UV dye in there, under the glovebox, remove the blower motor and blower resistor from the bottom of the HVAC box. Stick the light into where the blower motor goes and shine it toward the drivers side. You should be able to look up and into the HVAC box and see the evaporator from the hole where the blower resistor goes and spot any flourescent dye. You can also stick a camera/cameraphone into the box and take pictures of the evaporator and look for dye using the UV light and a regular flashlight/flash. If the evaporator is layered in dust, you probably have a leak there and it underneath the dust. If so, take a waterhose to it to remove the grime (it will drain out the condensate hole under the hood) and then i bet you can see all the dye.

Reactions: big country 24

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took out the blower and resistor. At first I didnt see anything and the evaporator looked pretty good. So i took a waterhose rinsed it out a couple times stuck the uv light in there and saw a faint line of dye along edge of the evaporator next to the fire wall. Could be it supposedly. Looks like i got a good days job replacing it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your ac compressor could be leaking out the front seal. You will not be able to see the dye. It's a hard leak to confirm or diag. With the engine off spin the compressor clutch by hand and listen very carefully for a small quick hiss. The clutch should spin fairly easily by hand. Also look for "rust dust" around the clutch, if you have a hard time spinning the clutch or you see any rust dust, It might be a good time to change the compressor. You don't want the front bearing to fail and send metal into the system, then u will really be emptying your pockets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Good luck with the evaporator, its a good days job but it is easy and well worth saving the $700+ that a dealership or someone would want you to pay for it. There is an article on here by Megacabeddie that everyone uses for instructions on how to remove the dash, the article is about A/C improvments for Megacabs but its the same procedure for all third gens minus the wind screen deflector.

Reactions: big country 24

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do believe this is the leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the help. Problem is I'm leaving next week for a little trip for around 9 months. Guess ill fix it next year when I get back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your ac compressor could be leaking out the front seal. You will not be able to see the dye. It's a hard leak to confirm or diag. With the engine off spin the compressor clutch by hand and listen very carefully for a small quick hiss. The clutch should spin fairly easily by hand. Also look for "rust dust" around the clutch, if you have a hard time spinning the clutch or you see any rust dust, It might be a good time to change the compressor. You don't want the front bearing to fail and send metal into the system, then u will really be emptying your pockets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
My truck has a leak in the A/C and it turned out to be the front seal also. I was able to see the dye in a groove between the pulley and the compressor using a UV light. About 6 months ago I replaced the coil, pulley and clutch. I'm wondering if when installing the parts I somehow damaged the seal??? I should have just bought the the whole compressor with clutch the last time. Oh well I'm learning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.