Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Absolute Best Model Year?

5802 Views 38 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Broaner
The title of this thread gives you the gist of it. I'm in the market for a Common rail. Looking for a 4x4 QC SB in Charcoal with MT. I'd preferably like to get a manual T-case as I've never had good luck with push button but its not a nessecity. Did those only come in specific years? Which year is the best are far as tunability, features and fewest TSB's/relability issues? Basically if you were to do it again which exact year would you get? Maybe its weird but every car I've owned to this point I wish I coulda done it again to get a specific feature that was only available for a portion of a model year. Maybe Dodge doesn't do that though. Is there a certain VIN code that I should steer clear of for recalls and such?

Or if nobody is interested in giving a detailed response please just point me towards an FAQ because I'm apparently blind. Thanks.

Broan
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Banned
28,330 Posts
Honestly man, any of the CRs are good. Theres little quirks here and there, but you really cant go wrong with any.

The 03s, and possibly the 04s, had an issue with the u-joints binding. They make a kind of growling noise, but likely any truck youd buy now would have had those replaced. And the lift pumps on these arent as good as the in-tank pumps on later trucks, although some have been retrofitted to the in-tank units

05s had plastic end tanks on the intercooler; added boost can blow those out.

As far as tuneability, their all more than capable of making huge power. 04.5-07 325hp trucks respond better to simple mods than the earlier trucks do. This is because of the bigger turbo, electronic wastegate, third injection event (probably the biggest reason). Take a Smarty and put it on an 04.5+ truck itll flat walk an 03/04. The 03/04 runs out of air on the topend; the wastegate opens early whereas the 04.5+ wastegate is electronic and a programmer can disable it.

The 03/04 gets better mileage. Its definately noticable even not calculating. And get into injectors and modded pumps and the 03/04 trucks make plenty of power. I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head that are over 1000 on fuel, all 03/04 models.

As far as recalls and such, I have no idea

· Registered
147 Posts
05s had plastic end tanks on the intercooler; added boost can blow those out.
Later 05 were switched to metal end tanks. Mine is metal.
The manual transmission was changed in late 05, replacing the NV. I hear parts for the earlier ones is getting to be an issue.
People say the seats on the 06 and newer aren't as comfortable as the earlier ones. No experience, just from comments.
One advantage of an 05 or earlier is that they were still covered with the 7/70. Only good if it is a low mileage one and you are second owner and get it transferred for the $150.
Then again, who knows where Chrysler will be a year from now.

· 3 footin' through life
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. This is the exact info I've been looking for. Little quirks like that. I make pros and cons list before I buy. I'm not gonna turn up the wick on this thing all that much. I want nice simple mods that improve economy when needed and improve power when desired. I was already leaning toward the 05's because its the latest year of that style that I like the most. I want one that is completely rust free with less than 75K on it. Anyone? I'll take silver or black if I have to.

· Registered
255 Posts
03-05 is my favorite. Hell I currently own 2 05's. I've had a 04 Hemi Quad and 2 05 Hemi Reg cabs. Once I got my wife her Cummins, I new I wanted one and treated myself this year. My White Quad 4X4 6 spd with manual 4X4 was very clean and only had 32,000 miles when I bought it. Auto Trader is a great source. I've used it to buy my last 6 trucks. I havent had any issues to date with any of my rams, gas or diesel.

· Registered
77 Posts
I own a 06, unfortunately all automotive reports out like the ones banks and credit unions use consider the 06 as the worst believe or not. My wife is a loan officer and gets reports all the time. reasons range from climate control not working as well as othere years, too transmission problems? still love mine though, I do agree w/ climate control doesn't get cold until your moving and rpms above 1200.

· Registered
695 Posts
I own a 06, unfortunately all automotive reports out like the ones banks and credit unions use consider the 06 as the worst believe or not. My wife is a loan officer and gets reports all the time. reasons range from climate control not working as well as othere years, too transmission problems? still love mine though, I do agree w/ climate control doesn't get cold until your moving and rpms above 1200.
Your wife probably just says that because she wants you to sell your truck.

· Registered
77 Posts
yeah! no she loves the truck as much as me, just the resale value is even worse. She has shown me the reports so I know. thats alright I planned on having for 10 or so yrs, if the rest of the truck holds up to the 5.9.

· Fill Diesel Only
1,029 Posts
05, gets my vote. other then the chance of a intercooler going bad, they are the best before they changed the interior and headlights. personally I like the 03 to 05 interior better.

· Registered
515 Posts
idk i'm kinda partial to the 04.5's for some reason.... best of all worlds. lol

· 3 footin' through life
11,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Heated leather seems to be super rare. A nice feature I must admit up her in Mad town but...

I'm interested in this one. Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com Don't steal it. Ha... Anyone in that area and wanna have a look for me? Thanks. JK... But seriously.

· Registered
797 Posts
yeah! no she loves the truck as much as me, just the resale value is even worse. She has shown me the reports so I know. thats alright I planned on having for 10 or so yrs, if the rest of the truck holds up to the 5.9.
So, what can I expect to pay for an 06 Mega 4x4 2500 with around 50k miles on it??:drool2:

· Registered
2014 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 - leveled, Stock
75 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.