Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story, I'm looking for any leads in the right direction.

I have a 98.5 24 valve Cummins, manual trans, RWAL only, 205K miles.

About two years ago, the ABS and Brake light came on. Then while driving down the road the Check Engine light started coming on and the truck would jerk and the throttle would die for a few seconds until I let off the accelerator. Then it would catch back up and keep driving. This started happening so often that the truck was undriveable.

I changed the speed sensor in the Rear Diff, and it did not resolve the issue. So I pulled the ABS module and sent it to Module Masters for rebuild. He said it was DOA and a rebuild was not possible. We agreed that he would throw it in the trash instead of shipping it back to me. Original Part# 52009710AF

Dodge stopped making the replacement modules in 2019. One of the Dodge service techs I called said I could pull a similar ABS module from a junkyard, slap it in, and it should work without any VIN reprogramming.

I bought one from EBAY for $119. Slapped it in, and the truck runs decent, with the exception that...
A. The ABS and Brake light are still on, and sometimes turn off only if there is something heavy in the bed.
B. the Check Engine light / throttle death issue does still happen very infrequently. It seems to only happen when there is a weight change in the rear end.

Let me know what you think my next move is.

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you scanned it to see what the check engine light is? Dead pedal sounds like your APPS needs to be replaced.

2002, 2500 QCSB, Auto, 4x4,HX35/40 hybrid 62/67/12, 7x 10 DAP injectors set at 325 bar, ARP head studs, Nations alternator, 3rd gen brakes, Pac Break PBRX exhaust break, Timbrens, Dynamic valve body, single billet converter, lockup switch, W-T ground mod, 4” MBRP exhaust, Isspro gauges, big line kit, Raptor 4G 150, LPW double deep trans pan, Quadzilla V2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you scanned it to see what the check engine light is? Dead pedal sounds like your APPS needs to be replaced.

2002, 2500 QCSB, Auto, 4x4,HX35/40 hybrid 62/67/12, 7x 10 DAP injectors set at 325 bar, ARP head studs, Nations alternator, 3rd gen brakes, Pac Break PBRX exhaust break, Timbrens, Dynamic valve body, single billet converter, lockup switch, W-T ground mod, 4” MBRP exhaust, Isspro gauges, big line kit, Raptor 4G 150, LPW double deep trans pan, Quadzilla V2
I don't have the codes, but I have my ODBC reader in the truck with me ready. I will try to get the codes next time the CEL comes on.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You have some chaffed wires somewhere. The weight in the bed is breaking the contact to ground is my bet. Or a loose connector.

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
16,498 Posts
Let me know what you think my next move is.
Thanks
I think I recall a guy having an ABS issue driving him nuts.....and a new brake light actuator switch fixed his problem.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think I recall a guy having an ABS issue driving him nuts.....and a new brake light actuator switch fixed his problem.
You know, a little off topic but I had a 1994 Camaro do this when both center rear brake light bulbs burned out, well worth a look.

·
Registered
24,468 Posts
First codes should be stored and retrievable without new CEL. They should stay until cleared by scan tool.
Second, Dead pedal like that is very often due to dirty or damaged battery terminals and cables. Clean them all to perfect shiny metal to metal connection and make sure there is no corrosion in copper cables. Apps can also be the issue as can the ECM. Get codes.

Reactions: MID98

·
Registered
24,468 Posts
Is there not a load height sensor with abs that is related?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have some chaffed wires somewhere. The weight in the bed is breaking the contact to ground is my bet. Or a loose connector.
I like where you are going with this. Checked on my Cab to Bed Ground strap this morning, and it looked awful. I also found a completely severed wire in the trailer light connection wires near tailgate. I fixed both of those issues early this morning, but ABS light is still on. I pulled both ABS fuses, and also disconnected the Neg battery cables to clear the ECU, also no luck. ABS light still on. I will keep hunting, thanks for the info.

Wood Brick Metal Natural material Pattern
Rope (rhythmic gymnastics) Wood Knot Walking shoe Rock-climbing equipment

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First codes should be stored and retrievable without new CEL. They should stay until cleared by scan tool.
Second, Dead pedal like that is very often due to dirty or damaged battery terminals and cables. Clean them all to perfect shiny metal to metal connection and make sure there is no corrosion in copper cables. Apps can also be the issue as can the ECM. Get codes.
I did get the error codes in 2020 when the issue started, and I distinctly remember "Controller antilock brake CAB" was one of the codes. This was before I pulled the module and replaced with Junkyard module. My scan tool says there are no codes in the system. I will check with a shop or dealer, and reply soon. thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you ready for this ?? I saw a video from a guy called Super Dwarf, and I discovered that my truck has

"Rear Height Sensing Proportioning Valve"

"Rear Height Sensing Proportioning Valve"

A lever pushes up and increases fluid pressure to the back brakes when there's more of a load in the bed.

I'm going to be looking for a replacement valve or try clean this one out. This has got to be it, clogged or rusted !

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Is there not a load height sensor with abs that is related?
You nailed it, I know my '01 does not have one of these on it. Is it a 3500 series deal?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ohm out the rear ABS sensor 1st.
How to diagnose and replace a rear abs sensor on a Dodge
@ ABOUT 3:53 "1.88 KiloOhms = 1880 Ohms"

ABS notes:
Diagnostically, the coil of wheel speed sensors have different amounts of resistance based upon the sensor type.
When measured across the connector two terminals, the resistance should be:
4x4 (4WD) front sensor 893-1208 ohms
4x2 (2WD) front sensors 1800-2200 ohms
All rear sensors 1600-2300 ohms.

(Temperature dependent)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Judging by the spring design on the picture I bet this is 3500. So I believe you got all wheel drive ABS system. (standard on all 3500).

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you ever decide to scan the ABS module you will need special scan tool that can access CCD (Chrysler Collision Detection) Bus.

Here is the ABS Code list for 2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-98-5-02-24v

Kelsey-Hayes All Wheel EBC 325 (CAB) Antilock Brake System DTCs.
The EBC 325 system can be identified by the
presence of the controller antilock brake (CAB)
located directly on the HCU (hydraulic control unit).

CODE 21 - Right Front Sensor Open.
CODE 22 - No Signal From Right Front Sensor.
CODE 23 - Intermittent Signal From Right Front Sensor.
CODE 25 - Left Front Sensor Open.
CODE 26 - No Signal From Left Front Sensor.
CODE 27 - Intermittent Signal From Left Front Sensor.
CODE 35 - Rear Sensor Open.
CODE 36 - No Signal From Rear Sensor.
CODE 37 - Intermittent Signal From Rear Sensor.
CODE 38 - Wheel Speed Mismatch.
Internal CAB Fault 41~54 Internal CAB Faults
x CODE 41 - Right Front Isolation Valve Solenoid Open.
CODE 42 - Right Front Dump Valve Solenoid Open. same as CODE 52
x CODE 43 - Right Front Isolation Valve Solenoid Shorted.
CODE 44 - Right Front Dump Valve Solenoid Shorted. same as CODE 54
x CODE 45 - Left Front Isolation Valve Solenoid Open.
CODE 46 - Left Front Dump Valve Solenoid Open. same as CODE 52
x CODE 47 - Left Front Isolation Valve Solenoid Shorted.
CODE 48 - Left Front Dump Valve Solenoid Shorted. same as CODE 54
CODE 51 - Rear Isolation Valve Solenoid Open. - EBC 2
CODE 52 - Rear Dump Valve Solenoid Open. - EBC 2
CODE 53 - Rear Isolation Valve Solenoid Shorted. - EBC 2
CODE 54 - Rear Dump Valve Solenoid Shorted. - EBC 2
CODE 65 - Internal Main Relay Open.
CODE 66 - Internal Main Relay Shorted.
CODE 67 - Pump Motor Circuit Open.
CODE 68 - Pump Motor Stalled - Locked ABS Pump Motor Or Shorted Motor Circuit.
CODE 69 - Excessive Dump Time.
CODE 71 - RAM Read/Write Malfunction.
CODE 72 - ROM Checksum.
CODE 73 - Inoperative Watchdog Inhibit
CODE 74 - System Control Mode Timeout.
CODE 78 - Foundation Brake Partial System Malfunction.
CODE 81 - Brake Lamp Switch Circuit.
CODE 82 - Number of Tone Ring Teeth Out of Range.
CODE 83 - Tire Revolutions Per Mile Out of Range.
CODE 84 - Mismatched VIN.

Kelsey-Hayes Rear Wheel EBC 2 (CAB) Antilock Brake System DTCs.
The EBC 2 system can be identified by the
presence of a separate rear hydraulic
control unit HCU.

CODE 35 - Rear Sensor Open.
Code 36 - No Signal From Rear Sensor.
CODE 37 - Intermittent Signal From Rear Sensor.
CODE 51 - Rear Isolation Valve Solenoid Open.
CODE 52 - Rear Dump Valve Solenoid Open.
CODE 53 - Rear Isolation Valve Solenoid Shorted.
CODE 54 - Rear Dump Solenoid Shorted.
CODE 63 - Shuttled Reset Switch Concern \ Rear Reset Switch Closed
CODE 65 - Internal Main Relay Open.
CODE 66 - Internal Main Relay Shorted.
CODE 69 - Excessive Dump Time.
CODE 71 - RAM Read/Write.
CODE 72 - ROM Checksum.
CODE 73 - Inoperative Watchdog Inhibit
CODE 78 - Foundation Brake Partial System Malfunction.
CODE 81 - Brake Switch Circuit.
CODE 82 - Tone Ring Teeth Factor Out Of Range
CODE 83 - Tire Revolutions Per Mile Factor Out Of Range
CODE 84 - Mismatched VIN

- GLOSSARY OF TERMS -
ABS --- antilock brake system
CAB --- controller antilock brake
CCD --- Chrysler Collision Detection
DLC --- data link connector
EBC --- electronic brake controller
EMF --- electromotive force (generated voltage)
HCU --- hydraulic control unit
IC ---- integrated circuit
NVRAM - non-volatile random access memory
PDC --- power distribution center
RAM --- random access memory
RWAL -- rear wheel antilock
ROM --- read only memory
WSS --- wheel speed sensor

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Judging by the spring design on the picture I bet this is 3500. So I believe you got all wheel drive ABS system. (standard on all 3500).
Same, mine is a 2500 and the springs are different.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Instead of going underneath the truck you can also Ohm out all the ABS sensors together with the wiring right on the controller antilock brake (CAB) plug(s).
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Instead of going underneath the truck you can also Ohm out all the ABS sensors together with the wiring right on the controller antilock brake (CAB) plug(s).
View attachment 962328
That's a nice slice of 3.14 right there. Only 10 kinds of people will understand.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts